Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Gamekings.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: Gamekings.

Out of my ruger 300 win mag these are the best that I have loaded for. Less than .5 in five shot group at 100 off bipod and nothing else. Also have shot through a black jack tree the size of a baseball bat and killed the deer. With the bullet holding up after all that. It expanded twice its size. The one thing that I did not like with them was that it would dump every thing in the chest cavity on the ground, just little or no blood trail. Deer would go no farther than 100 yards, just was hard to follow with no blood. Oh the tree thing was the result of a hurried shot after finding out I did not chamber a round when I got in the woods. One other thing was that the ribs on the deer shot with this bullet would have to off side ribs broke next to the spine. Lots of force and that was not a hot load out of my rifle.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Bronze Member

Hawken11,

I understand that you donít want to gross out your little hunter and possibly turn him or her off to hunting before they have a chance to enjoy all that it offers. The problem I see here is even if you manage to keep a nice and tidy entrance and exit wound, youíre going to have to field dress your trophy and dump all the blood and guts on the ground anyway. What are you going to do when you skin and butcher your animal? The experience of hunting with kids gives you an opportunity to explain not just hunting techniques, but biology and nature (even the gut pile doesnít go to waste).

I have two girls that love to go out to the woods with me. The oldest wanted books on animal tracks and loves the outdoors, but doesnít like hunting - yet. My youngest gets mad if I donít remove the brains and eyes for her to examine.

[image][/image]

The one thing you can be sure of is that a bullet and its wound channel can be hard to predict. Do a search of this site and you will see that even premium hunting bullets can fail and come apart

I would hunt with the bullet your using if it's more accurate and explain to your young hunter why and how it may be more humane for a quick kill.

T
Old 11-21-2005, 12:15 AM
Bronze Member

I agree mostly with what Cowboy said. All we use for deer hunting in northeastern Montana are Sierra BTHP Gamekings. Have used 100 grain .243, 130 grain .270, and 150, 165, and 180 grain in 30-06.

Here is a video I took this time of year 2003 of a deer being taken at ~225 yards with a 130 grain .277 bullet at ~2950 fps MV.

http://jameslovesjammie.zippyvideos....eer_hunt_2003/

I'm going to check my hard drive, I think I have exit wound pics of that deer somewhere here.

I rate the Gamekings very highly. I would recommend them higher than the Hornady Interbond or Speer Hot Core as far as performance, and got much better accuracy out of them than Nosler Partitions or Ballistic Tips.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Bronze Member

Shot another doe tonight with the SMKs. It was only my second, but not too bad as bad as the first. I understand what you are saying TAC and do all the same things you mention. I just remember a bad outing with my oldest son at 7 when he picked up the first squirrel of the season with a .17 cal. A mistake on my part I did not want to repeat on a larger scale. Thanks for the info guys. Glad I asked. I will likely by some gamekings next.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 AM
Silver Member

All we use is Gamekings also, used it all over the world for anything really and pretty happy with the results thus far.