Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

G-7 LRBC-Handheld-Calculator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: G-7 LRBC-Handheld-Calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback7 View Post
Do you really need all that stuff by the time your done figuring it all out your target is gone you can send it and your dope has changed. PLUS I CANT AFFORD ALL THAT!
We can all relate to the "can't afford" problem. But no, I have never had a rock, silhouette, or paper target run off yet. I also have never taken or needed to take a game animal over 300 yards. And for that, no, non of this stuff was used.

But if you want to get first rounds on target at ranges of 600 yards or more, then somehow you are going to have to account for the variables and have them at least on some kind of table generated by a ballistic program.

In recent years, my buds and I have began hunting in places where you can take some really long shots if you like. We will shoot at a hog or a coyote if we can see them. If we can get closer, stalking, calling, baiting, whatever, we do. But if not, we will still airmail some lead.

And, when we are sitting out on a stand or mountain side, we always like to range different trees, rocks, land marks, etc. That way if something steps out or moves through, the solution is done. I do this even when bow hunting.

Getting all the data in your program is invaluable when you are working up loads and confirming drop tables at the range. It would not be needed if we always shot at the same distance, with the same load, and the same incline, at the same altitude, temp, etc. You get the picture. I have also never needed or wanted it for shots under 300.

Cheers,
Woolly
Old 11-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Platinum Member

Don't take this wrong but the most economical solution is to just learn to use what you have, adding another program won't change anything but give you another one that does not jive with the others.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

I don't have the extensive experience with multiple ballistics programs. I purchased one. And use only that one. I've read a lot about some of the others. I've tried some of the online and downloadable versions.

I know mine is accurate when I input the correct data. I've demonstrated that in the field. Now that I'm competent using that software, I really have no desire to swap to another, only to have to learn and then prove another program before having confidence in it. At least not until some others go through that process and tell me I'm missing the greatest thing since sliced bread. I expect to read about those experiences on this Forum when, and if, that starts occurring.

The G7 BR2 is a relatively new offering. It might take some period of time for the field reports to show up. Especially since it's twice as expensive than the Swaro and the Leica LRFs. And then there's the learning curve prior to proficiency with any ballistic software. I could believe it may be 12 months before we get a fair sampling and reporting of end user experiences. But this Thread is a good way to find out, and lure the comments out of any owners/users.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:17 PM
PUBLISHER

Wooly

I love your signature image but please reduce its size to 160 pixels wide.

Thanks!

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Silver Member

Here is another option, you can use the shooter program that you can download on a android based phone. My 2cents

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-fort...colorado-CO109
Old 11-26-2011, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
I know mine is accurate when I input the correct data. I've demonstrated that in the field. Now that I'm competent using that software, I really have no desire to swap to another, only to have to learn and then prove another program before having confidence in it. At least not until some others go through that process and tell me I'm missing the greatest thing since sliced bread. I expect to read about those experiences on this Forum when, and if, that starts occurring.
I concur!!!

And you, just like me, being LoadBase 3.0 users, It'll be a long time before we get to be "missing the greatest thing since sliced bread."

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!