Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Fun stuff to shoot at.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fun stuff to shoot at.

skoal cans filled with dirt.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Silver Member

Try the want adds there are a lot of adds for A free cat or dog to a good home. a small cat is about the same size as a PD and no need for clean up they are biodegradable. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Three rules of Life: If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. Don't worry about what people think; they don't do it very often. Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Silver Member

I find that Iraqis are a real hoot to shoot at... at any afforded range! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 02:17 PM

I know it's not too creative or sexy.........but I like rocks. Plain old rocks. There are likely already tons there. You can set-em atop posts and rails.....pick various sizes.....hang them from cords-twine. Old onion and potato bags hold them nicely too. They puff debris......sometimes shatter......create ricochets. Best of all....no need to clean em up.....or even take them there.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This summer/fall try to find some water melons, very impressive when hit

[/ QUOTE ]

I can attest to that. I have a friend that has the ability to shoot up to 200yds on his property (I know it short, but we do what we can) and he has what we refer to as the "Target Garden". Every spring he plants Beef Eater Tomatoes, watermelons, Squash and Zucchini. By Mid to late summer, we have litterally hundreds of targets available for shooitng and most of them create violent exposions with the thin jacketed varmint bullets that we are shooting out of our 22 and 243 caliber rifles. Squash and Zucchini make decent explosions, but the Tomatoes and Watermelons are the real show pieces.

We try and shoot at these from real world hunting positions using only bipods, monopods, and other field techniques. It's absolutely amazing just how violent a Watermelon will explode from a .223, leaving just small pieces behind. When the sun is right, the mist is impressive. Tomatoes are quite explosive too, although, I am not sure how tough of a target that would be at distances past 250yds.

The 1 gallon plastic milk jugs and The Aquafina water bottles (1 liter) work quite well too. In the winter, save every milk jug and water bottle that you and your family uses. You would be surprised at how much you can save in a few short months. It makes for a great spring time shoot. One thing about the clear water bottles. If the wrapping is off of them they are almost invisible at long ranges. I would imagine even the opaque milk jugs would be very hard to see at distances past 400yds. We tie off some flagging tape to the bottles and jugs so we can pick them up in the scope easier.

There are plenty of targets out there growing and sitting in someone's trash that are readily available to use for next to nothing in price.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Where did you guys dig this old post up? My original post is 2 years old. Someone must have been bored or just discovered the search tool.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

How did you allow XXX on to this site mod