Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: How do y'all prepare your ammo for long range hunting?
Full lenght resize 129 48.86%
Neck size only with occasional shoulder bump 133 50.38%
Factory loads only 2 0.76%
Voters: 264. This poll is closed

Full length resize or neck size only for y'all long range hunters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Full length resize or neck size only for y'all long range hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
No, its not bad. There are obviously proponents of each method. I use both depending on the specific rifle/chamber, and the results I get with accuracy and ES. The benchresters prefer FL sizing. They also prefer 5 ounce trigger pulls. The possible .1-.2 MOA benefit for hunting, even at long range probably gets nullified by other factors.
Those light triggers get you in trouble ocassionally as I found out this winter shooting indoor pistol with my very tricked Ruger. It pulls less than 3 ounces with no creep or pre-travel and I took out a set of lights on the indoor range. Gotta remember where my finger is..............
Old 05-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Those light triggers get you in trouble ocassionally as I found out this winter shooting indoor pistol with my very tricked Ruger. It pulls less than 3 ounces with no creep or pre-travel and I took out a set of lights on the indoor range. Gotta remember where my finger is..............
I lost a moose about 10 years ago when I forgot to reset the jewel trigger on my 300Win. I went to get on the trigger with frozen fingers and couldn't tell I was already touching it when I dropped the saftey...Shot over its back by a full moose!
I think the trigger was set at 8 ounces at the time.

I invested in a local CNC shop and have learned a lot of interesting things about your business.
We just added 2 more 9 axis millturn machines and another Mori Seiki NHX4000..pretty exciting stuff if you are into CNC production!
My partner laughed at my ten thou rig! I am no machinist!

My reloading room is temperature and humidity controlled...pretty fancy stuff for a reloading room! My reloading bench is pretty nice!

I have been way down the ultra OCD side of reloading and the gains (if any) are not worth the pain. The only exception to that being something as small and precise as a 6mmbr and the only thing I do different for that case is weigh charges with a GD503 scale.

The only other thing I do that I have never seen mentioned here is tune for OCW.
As hunters we want to see more consistent and repeatable accuracy week after month after year and tuning for Optimum Charge Weight helps a lot in that regard.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

I reload in a climate controlled room as well. Right on the bench in front of my Gerstner wood tool boxes.. I set the powder scale on top of an LSStarrett Pink Granite surface plate..

No investors here, I call the shots, reap the rewards and assume the pain.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

I hear you about the investor thing, but it allowed him to engage another market that wouldn't have been possible otherwise.
I think he has been thankful for the experienced business advice as well. I got my investment back plus a nice return long ago and he is now supporting a very nice lifestyle, but hell yes he has busted his balls keeping those machines working 24/7.
Hard work for sure, but for some time now he has been at the point where he could easily buy me out..and I thought he would, yet I am still with him taking another step toward growth....Not all investors are bad.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Bronze Member

On my belted magnum calibers my I use somewhat a long process (yes a bit anal) but it has worked great for me which is:

1. Neck size with Redding S die (neck turned brass)
2. Use a Larry Willis Belted Magnum Collet resize die.
3. I use a Redding body die just to bump the shoulder back 2/1000's
4. Use a Forster competition bullet seater die.
5. Found that a cheap Lee crimp die (extremely light crimp) works well.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

I FL resize taking care to bump the shoulder a minimal amt. I've had brass before that I neck sized only and didn't bump the shoulder when it needed, I just lost track of how many firings with neck sizing only. These gave a very tight fit in the chamber which I didn't like. If you bump the shoulder every third sizing, I think neck sizing would be alright but I'll stick with just FL sizing to keep things consistent.

Geb
Old 06-26-2013, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

Does bumping shoulder back work for all cases or just belted cased? 22-250 for example does it benefit from FL or neck sizing with shoulder bump?