Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: How do y'all prepare your ammo for long range hunting?
Full lenght resize 129 48.86%
Neck size only with occasional shoulder bump 133 50.38%
Factory loads only 2 0.76%
Voters: 264. This poll is closed

Full length resize or neck size only for y'all long range hunters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 08:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Full length resize or neck size only for y'all long range hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
This is actually a pretty complicated and convoluted question to answer.
The short answer is I have them in a dozen calibers or so and I have come to prefer a standard die for hunting applications.

Does the bushing size die create more accurate ammunition? Not in my experience.
I don't like the bushing die because it can not size the entire neck so it ultimately encourages a "dread doughnut" which is absolutely detrimental to accuracy. The way around this is neck turning or reaming, but this opens another can of worms in a non neck turn chamber. In other words the bushing die takes you down the bench rest road whether you want it or not, whether your rifle is set up for it or not, and whether you need or benefit from it or not.
The real purpose of the bushing die is to adjust for clearance cut by neck turning/tight neck chambers. Well....I have been down the road of a tight neck chamber and saw zero increase in accuracy. I admit and understand that at the benchrest level neck turning and tight chambers are part of the game, but any potential increase would be so small as to be of no use to a long range hunter.
I am skimming over some finer points, but those are the broad brush strokes of my experience.

If you want a little looser neck die Forster will cut it to your specs for $10.00 over the regular die cost. Once you get the neck tension right you can abandon the expander/decapper..A big upside.
Redding will do this as well, but they are a little more expensive.
You can also send them 3 fired cases and they will make a die to suite with the neck to your specifications.
This is what I do.

Is the Redding Micrometer seating die worth the money? I think so.
There are several compelling details within your response. Obviously every avenue should be explored to reduce the errors associated with long range hunting. Possessing the ability and experience to consistently reload accurate hunting ammunition is undoubtedly one of them. To what end should one consider the precision of a particular long range hunting rifle/ammo combination as acceptable? The answer will ultimately lie within each of us. I definitely have the interest to compare the results of a Forster FL die to a Redding neck sizing die in one of my chambers.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

"Is the Redding Micrometer seating die worth the money? I think so."

Lots in a name. For my money, I prefer and use exclusively RCBS Gold Medal micrometer front load seating dies.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
"Is the Redding Micrometer seating die worth the money? I think so."

Lots in a name. For my money, I prefer and use exclusively RCBS Gold Medal micrometer front load seating dies.
I could care less about name, I want results.
I agree that some guys buy into a name thing then spout it from the rooftops...I am not that guy.
I happen to have some of the Redding comp seater dies....Great stuff..Yes, they are expensive.

The last precision seater I got from RCBS was anything but precise.
I see the gold series is out now in a caliber specific design now? I hope they got it right this time because I still feel the sting of the last one....Easily the worst die I have ever owned.

For the money I think the Forster Ultra Micrometer Seater is the way to go for a long range hunter. It is also 30.00 less than the RCBS Gold deal.
Since the Redding is only $4.00 more than the RCBS I would take that over the RCBS as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 AM
Silver Member

I guess I might get my Long Range Hunter Card revoked for saying this but I've been using the Lee Collet dies for sizing my necks for several years now and have found that I couldn't improve the accuracy I get when using them with any other die sets I've ever owned. They save mountains of time in the reloading process.

I still use Redding Competition seater dies to seat bullets though in most of my favorite chamerings but I still have a few older ones that are mostly plain Jane still hunt cartridges that I use your basic plain Jane RCBS FL die sets on.

I took a couple of my cartridges from my favorite shooting rifles to a local bench rest shooter a few years ago and he was going to show me that runout was too much with my Lee Collet die neck sizing routines and he he came away a believer... Less than .002" if I remember correctly. He was impressed... I've never invested in runout or neck thickness gauges because that's just waaaaaay to anal for this old redneck shooter.... LOL

The reason I got started originally with the Lee Collet dies was because I could take the brass directly from my vibratory case cleaner and use the Lee Collet dies to do all the sizing I'd ever do on those cases until they started chambering with difficulty. Case life improved and I didn't need to use ANY case lube at all after the first FL length sizing with new brass or subsequent FL length sizing to reset shoulders!!!

After using the Collet Die I use the RCBS multistation case prep center to lightly rechamfer the inside and outside of the neck mouths and clean the primer pocket and to use a nylon brush to clean the inside of the case mouth.

Because my favorite long range rifles and the only ones with expensive brass (one and the same) are of the SAUM variety, I sometimes do a full length resize after they start chambering with difficulty but rarely get more than 5 loadings before I chuck them. I just don't like to worry with old brass or annealing.

I usually just use Remington or Winchester brass for my rifles although I have some Lapua brass I'm ready to try... None of my rifles are Custom Gunsmith made (yet) and none of them have special chambers or tight necks.

YMMV.....

Bob
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with Lee except the lock rings which can be replaced. Black 'O' rings only have one use IMO, hog castrators.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Bronze Member

I full length re-size every time and only bump the shoulder back .002. I also anneal the necks and shoulders every time. I feel it makes more uniform neck tension and less run-out. Plus, I haven't had to cull any brass in over three years due to neck splits.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

which ever works for you. on this site you will have those that swear "only fl works, cause I use that method" to those that swear "if you don't neck size, your gun will explode ". First off, how "accurate" is accurate enough for YOU? some here are happy with "minute of moose" some want (and some claim) .25 moa to 1,000 yds. Use whatever method works for YOU, and YOUR rifle that does what YOU want.