Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

View Poll Results: How do y'all prepare your ammo for long range hunting?
Full lenght resize 129 48.86%
Neck size only with occasional shoulder bump 133 50.38%
Factory loads only 2 0.76%
Voters: 264. This poll is closed

Full length resize or neck size only for y'all long range hunters?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Full length resize or neck size only for y'all long range hunters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I'm not a BR guy either, but I have had a few BR rifles for LR varmint shooting. I've read quite a bit and messed with a lot of tools and techniques. Seems like a good shooting rifle will shoot, but one that doesn't want to won't. I've actually become less particular about making every detail just right, but there are some things I have learned that I still use.
If FL sizing can make my reloads more accurate, I'll use it. I haven't invented anything myself, just learned from others who have.
Very true. I think the biggest ingredient in accuracy is the rifle and the biggest ingredient in the rifle is the barrel based on my experience. I also have become less particular, not being a bench shooter, but I do desire a good degree of accuracy. I do some basic sorting of bullets and brass, brass prep (no neck turning) and when it comes to sizing I haven't found much of a diff between FL and neck sizing so I FL and when it comes to sizing, I figure concentricity is the ultimate goal and I can get very low runout with FL. In my limited experience, it's been better than neck, but that's just me.

Quote:
At this point the easiest, quickest way to make accurate ammo is the one I want to use.
That's me

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Very true. I think the biggest ingredient in accuracy is the rifle and the biggest ingredient in the rifle is the barrel based on my experience. I also have become less particular, not being a bench shooter, but I do desire a good degree of accuracy. I do some basic sorting of bullets and brass, brass prep (no neck turning) and when it comes to sizing I haven't found much of a diff between FL and neck sizing so I FL and when it comes to sizing, I figure concentricity is the ultimate goal and I can get very low runout with FL. In my limited experience, it's been better than neck, but that's just me.

That's me
I used to obsess about such things and even have a ten thou dial indicator for runout gauge to show for my efforts.
You do get less runout with full length size dies.
Perhaps the better question is does it mater?

So how much runout is too much?
You might be surprised that 6 thou is the magic number.

So how do I know that?
Well....after shooting a few screw up wobbly rounds into the 1s I began to suspect the quest for perfectly strait rounds was for nothing. A quick phone call to Bruce Baer (builder and shooter extraordinaire of 60 pound 1000 yard benchrest rifles) confirmed my thoughts and then some.
Bruce did actual testing from 10 thou to 0 runout and found that below 6 thou he could see no difference in accuracy...in his 60 pound bench rest rifles with their 80 power scopes!
Go figure!

Just so you know
Old 05-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
I used to obsess about such things and even have a ten thou dial indicator for runout gauge to show for my efforts.
You do get less runout with full length size dies.
Perhaps the better question is does it mater?

So how much runout is too much?
You might be surprised that 6 thou is the magic number.

So how do I know that?
Well....after shooting a few screw up wobbly rounds into the 1s I began to suspect the quest for perfectly strait rounds was for nothing. A quick phone call to Bruce Baer (builder and shooter extraordinaire of 60 pound 1000 yard benchrest rifles) confirmed my thoughts and then some.
Bruce did actual testing from 10 thou to 0 runout and found that below 6 thou he could see no difference in accuracy...in his 60 pound bench rest rifles with their 80 power scopes!
Go figure!

Just so you know
Tell ya an interesting story with my previously mentioned 25-06 Sendero. I bought it used at a gun show with some extras including some Remington ammo. It was wearing a Tasco 6x24 scope mounted 90 degrees out - meaning the windage turret was up and the elevation turret was to the left No wonder they sold it Anyway, I get home and I remount the scope properly and take it and the Rem ammo to the local NF and set up a target, and stepped off about 110 yds to where my portable shooting table was set up. I them proceeded to fire a sighter which was about 1" right and 3" high. Amazing luck bore sighting it! So I make some adjustments and proceed to shoot a .224" 3 shot group. Based on the click corrections I made, the first shot would have been right in there with the other 3. I was stoked!

Took it home and commenced to clean it, and clean it, and clean it. It took me several days of scrubbing with Bore Tech getting many layers of carbon and copper out. Wondered what the heck??? I took it to the gunsmith for a bore scope and he told me it was one of the most fire cracked barrels he had ever seen. It never did shoot quite that well after that although it was a sloid sub 1/2 MOA shooter and I did shot one .4" group @ 212 yds with it. Drilled an antelope @ 280 yds dead on the POA with it.

Anyway, I later measured the runout of some of the leftover Rem ammo and it was going about .006 to .009

It makes ya wonder

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 05-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

The only cartrides that I FL size are straight-wall cartridges like .444 Marlin, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .45-70, etc... And I also FL size my .30-30 Win.

All my bolt guns and single-shots get neck-sized.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I neck size for my bolt guns until the cases get snug, then I bump the shoulder back .002. Saves a step in the reloading process.
I size about 80% on the neck, and leave the last bit unsized to center the round in the chamber.
Another +1 along with annealing every other round.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post

That's me
+1 well said!
Old 05-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't found an accuracy difference either between FL and neck sizing. My run outs tend to be better with neck sizing. The biggest advantage for me is time savings and longer case life with neck sizing. I can get up to 2x the case life by body sizing every 4th or 5th firing.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt