Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Frustration and dissapointment!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

Frustration and dissapointment!!

Went out Sunday morning to do some test shooting on some rounds that I reloaded throughout the week. Wanted to do it early in the morning because of the heat in the afternoon is too much. Anyway after shooting the first string of 3 168MK, I went to shoot the next string and it locked the bolt(I believe too much powder for a Savage 300 Win mag 112). After working on it for awhile I got the bolt open, but it then would not close all the way, so I put it back in the truck to work on later-by the way the first string I shot had 2 almost touching and the 3rd about 2" away to the left. So the next is a Sako 300 Win mag aver an hour or so I shot 5 strings of 3 each shooting for groups. On every string I had 2 that were close if not touching and always a flier! I was very disgusted and dissapointed in both myself and my equipment. Like I said I spent most of the week loading for this day, carefully weighing each charge, weighing and seperating each bullet, I was using brand new brass but I still cleaned, deburred and sized the case. To be honest I was so dissapointed I was thinking of scrapping the whole idea of LRH, but that was yesterday and today after a good nights sleep I am ready to try-try again. Anyone have any words of encouragement, I am basically going this alone here with no mentor. HELP PLEASE.
Old 08-18-2003, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Frustration and dissapointment!!

I load using the "ladder" method, once I found/tried this method it's all I've used...this allows me several options and benefits.

I don't need to load as many rounds.

I can find a good load in one trip to the range.

I don't need to worry about high pressures ending my testing.

I find a load without worrying/considering the velocity.

I can load to the middle of a "good" area and still have an accurate load with some variation in power charge and/or ambient temperature.

I don't generally load to the max velocity anymore...it's easier on me and the rifle to load a little below max, at an accurate load, and adjust to scope an extra "click" or two.

http://www.windcharts.com/reality_ba...evelopment.htm
Old 08-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Frustration and dissapointment!!

When using the RBLD make sure you start low enough, else you won't get a nice rising curve. My last load dev exercise showed a curve that had progressively lower group centers as I moved up through the sets. I started out with 10 sets each differing by 0.3 grains. Due to that experience, I should have tried at least 15 sets.

I got so frustrated that I went through the same thought process, I recovered and decided to order QuickLoad.

My belief is the RBLD is sound, I just like to tinker and QuickLoad gives me that.

AB