Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Frustrating range trip

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 11:39 PM

Frustrating range trip

I was just at the range and this is the 3rd time this has happened to me in the past 3 trips to the range. I check the zero on my scope with two shots and it's dead on at 100. A bit of an issue because I zero my scope for dead on at 200 (2" high at 100). I make the adjustments and it seems fine...about 2" high which is where I want.

I go out to 200 and the first shot is fine...right where I would expect it vertically (horizontal was a wind issue today). My next 3 shots end up going low...like 3-4" low.

I go back to 100 to check my zero and it's a touch low at 100 (not the 2" high like I set it). The zero seems to have fallen back down on me as opposed to 2" high at 100. I checked all my mounts, rings, action screws etc and everything seems fine. Is this a scope issue? I'm using a Busnell Legend on my 30-06 right now. That'll change soon because I ordered a Leupold due to my fear that my scope is right pooched and I don't want to have equipment failure this fall when "the shot" presents itself.

I know I'm not the greatest shot out there but my 100 yard 3 shot groups are usually around 1". These past few range trips left me scratching my head!

Could this be a heat issue...the last few times out to the range were fairly warm. I normally take my .22 and shoot it after 1 or 2 rounds with the '06. Perhaps I'm not letting the '06 cool down enough between shots? Either that or my scope isn't holding the adjustments. This has happened to me on the past three range trips. My scope doesn't seem to be holding the zero...either that or I'm not letting it cool down enough.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Frustrating range trip

Next time you go to the range try this:
shoot two or tree rounds just to prep the barrel. Let it cool and then shoot a 3 shot group and see what it does. If it's not holding, I would change the scope. Make sure nothing gets caught on the bags in the front and rear when you shoot.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Frustrating range trip

If this happened to me and the mounting hardware wasn't loose, I would say the scope is defective. I would mount a knowingly reliable scope and try again to make sure that was the problem. If you don't live close to where you shoot that could be a problem. If you clean the barrel between range sessions do as EAGLET said and put several fouling shots through it. Also, how old is the scope? Can you take it back to where you purchased it and swap it for a new one? What about Bushnell's return policy?

Last edited by Bravo 4; 09-13-2008 at 07:16 AM.