Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Free Recoil Zero Shift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Free Recoil Zero Shift

I finally got up the nerve to shoot the 338 LM free recoil after the addition of the new barrel and brake (DE Brake). The rifle seemed to jump less than my unbraked 308, and the recoil was moderate. I shot one 100 yard group with a firm hold on the rifle (normal for the Lapua) and one group free recoil (normal for the rest of my rifles). The free recoil group was smaller (0.59" vs 0.81") and it was a more 'triangular' group verses a more 'linear' group. The free recoil group was centered approximately 1.5 inches to the left of the group shot with a firm hold. Is this normal? I've never seen this big of a difference with any of my other rifles. Which hold should I use from this point onward as it appears that I will need to choose one or the other? I am more comfortable shooting free recoil, but question if that is the best choice for shooting the bigger magnums, braked or otherwise.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Free Recoil Zero Shift

I can't tell you which hold to use, if it's a hunting rifle, you really can't free recoil it, as field positions are varied. POI change can be expected with anything that has significant recoil (even braked). Any of my rifles will move POI under changes in hold. Of course the heavier the rifle the less you will see. When I shoot my unbraked 7mm (only 8lbs) it literally tries to jump up and off the bench to the left (I believe due to torque from the bullet/rifling). If I hold it a little different on my shoulder, it will definitely open up the group.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
When I shoot my unbraked 7mm (only 8lbs) it literally tries to jump up and off the bench to the left (I believe due to torque from the bullet/rifling). If I hold it a little different on my shoulder, it will definitely open up the group.
AJ, My 7mm does the same thing. What do you do to counteract this?

Chris
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
AJ, My 7mm does the same thing. What do you do to counteract this?

Chris

Hold on tight!!! A couple thicknesses of carpet under the bi-pods help too when shooting off a bench.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Do you hold on to the forearm? Or just suck in the butt tighter?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

I understand your grief. I used to shoot BR and shot Free Recoil. Here is my take on it for what it's worth. Use what you are going to use in the field. I ran into an issue a couple years back shooting ALL my rifles free recoil off the bench. I too ran into POI shifts when I held the rifle in hunting situations. IMHO it is related to grip. The harmonics of the recoil are different when holding the rifle. I had to re-teach myself to shoot my hunting rifles with a hold. I now solely free recoil ONLY my BR guns and hold all my hunting guns. This has made a world of difference for me. You may wan to try it. Be careful when holding to use the same grip as you can push and pull the group depending on firmness of grip. I use a very firm grip now on all those said rifles and am starting to get the groups down to where they were prior too when I did shoot free-recoil. Albeit frustrating, it really is worth the time and effort.

Hope This Helps,

Ken
Old 09-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Do you hold on to the forearm? Or just suck in the butt tighter?
I don't touch the forearm, I just have a firm (not tight) grip on the pistol grip (trying not have any left or right pressure or twist) and good solid cheek pressure. If it's not the same every time, your groups will suffer dramatically with a light rifle and heavy cartridge. I also always have forward pressure on the bipods.

AJ