Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Free float issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Free float issues

Well i can not figure this out for the life of me?? Seems like it is pivoting on the rear v block, like the front one is to low maybe? Someone else suggested bedding might help, but i think when i would go to tighting the action screws down it would just push the bedding compound down and end up doing the same thing? I hope some one smater than me reads this so they can help!!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam330 View Post
Well i can not figure this out for the life of me?? Seems like it is pivoting on the rear v block, like the front one is to low maybe? Someone else suggested bedding might help, but i think when i would go to tighting the action screws down it would just push the bedding compound down and end up doing the same thing? I hope some one smater than me reads this so they can help!!!!
If it was fitting before you painted it, something has changed.

You need to figure out what changed.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Bronze Member

Haha im starting to second guess my self if it was even floating before! Im goingto get some chalk to rub in the action then set it in the stock to see if i can figure out where contact is being made. Thanks for all of your help so far wild rose
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam330 View Post
Haha im starting to second guess my self if it was even floating before! Im goingto get some chalk to rub in the action then set it in the stock to see if i can figure out where contact is being made. Thanks for all of your help so far wild rose
No problem. Sometimes it's just easier to see the obvious when you aren't staring at something that is frustrating you.

The way the Choate Stock is made though IF you have the right stock to start with it should drop right onto the bedding block and give full contact the whole length.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 AM
Bronze Member

Does the stock have pillars? If so, the receiver should sit on them. It might be pivoting on the magazine in between. Make sure the mag box is fitted up properly to the receiver and there is clearance between the mag, the receiver and the stock...it doesn't need much but there should be some clearance.

Once the receiver fits into the stock properly, then you can relieve the barrel channel...if necessary.

TC

Last edited by Top Cat; 07-29-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Does the stock have pillars? If so, the receiver should sit on them. It might be pivoting on the magazine in between. Make sure the mag box is fitted up properly to the receiver and there is clearance between the mag, the receiver and the stock...it doesn't need much but there should be some clearance.

Once the receiver fits into the stock properly, then you can relieve the barrel channel...if necessary.

TC
The stock has a built in full length beddin block.

That's why this doesn't make sense IF it's the right stock.

Choate Tactical Rifle Stock Savage 10 Short Action Center Feed with 4.4" Screw Spacing Detachable Magazine Composite Black - MidwayUSA
Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 AM
Bronze Member

Right...Newer Stevens rifles are center feed, older ones were staggered feed. The older style stocks need to be modified in the mag well area to fit the new mag box...never tried it the other way round...kind of hard to diagnose it blind.

Might consider calling up Savage and Choate in the AM with model numbers to see if there is a correct match up or not.

TC