Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Free float issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 02:57 PM
Bronze Member

Free float issues

I recently had my barrel shortened and also decided to paint it while i had it out of the stock. When i went to put it back together i noticed as i tightened the front action screw it would pull the front of the barrel down causing it to make contact with the stock. This is a stevens 200 action with a mcgowen barrel in a choate tactical stock. What do I need to do to keep the barrel free floated. Thanks for any help.

Adam

Last edited by adam330; 07-28-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Free float issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam330 View Post
I recently had my barrel shortened and also decided to paint it while i had it out of the stock. When i went to put it back together i noticed as i tightened the front action screw it would pull the front of the barrel down causing it to make contact with the stock. This is a stevens 200 action with a mcgowen barrel in a choate tactical stock. What do I need to do to keep the barrel free floated. Thanks for any help.

Adam
Sand Paper.

Figure out where the point of contact is and do some sanding.

If painting alone has closed the gap so to speak you didn't have quite enough room anyhow.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Bronze Member

Im not so sure sanding will help, the barrel actually sets down on the end ofthe stock, its not like ther is just some light contact. Im sure i would have noticed this before but maybe not. It seems like there is a lot of play at the rear of the action which allows the rear of the action to lift up which drops the barrel onto the stock. Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the advice so far
Old 07-28-2011, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Im not so sure sanding will help, the barrel actually sets down on the end ofthe stock, its not like ther is just some light contact. Im sure i would have noticed this before but maybe not. It seems like there is a lot of play at the rear of the action which allows the rear of the action to lift up which drops the barrel onto the stock. Anyone else have thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for the advice so far
Something is way off then if this problem appeared after you painted.

Have you tried tightenting the rear lug snug first?

There should be no free play at all. If there is it'll never group.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Bronze Member

Ive held the tang down firmly against the stock and tightened the rear action then as soon as i start to tighten the front screw the tang lifts and the barrel drops? Something seems way off to me
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ive held the tang down firmly against the stock and tightened the rear action then as soon as i start to tighten the front screw the tang lifts and the barrel drops? Something seems way off to me
If it's see sawing like that something is making contact between the two, some obstruction.

Pull it all a part and see what's in there.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for all the help so far! Once i get home ill check it out.