Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

fps needed to kill a Mountain Lion at close range??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2005, 03:52 AM
Gold Member

Re: fps needed to kill a Mountain Lion at close range??

Barnes and other bullet makers make a good FMJ bullet. Then, velocity is not as much of a concern. There are powders like AA5744 which are bulky and made to be reduced load powders in rifles. Call RamShot in MT and pick their brain. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 06:31 AM

Oh...I'd say a load of 000 buckshot from a 12 ga. 3" magnum out of the front end of an 870 shotgun oughta work real fine!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 AM

Your wish to preserve the rug is understandable......but risky. More important is quickly and humanely dispatching the cat. You certainly don't want to wound it and have it escape. Someone else might end up picking up that tab.

The recommendations for FMJ bullets that wont expand much demand a heart-lung hit. If the range is that close, a head shot should be available. Try to make a sure kill more of a priority that rug preservation.

That said, almost any reasonable, accurate big game bullet will work on a close range head shot. If you are going body, forget the rug issue and use a quick opening soft-point like a SuperX Power-Point, or a Federal Fusion. Shooting up into a tree may create difficult angles to the vitals and you just don't want to pencil a bullet through the guts and have kitty charge away.

Many years ago, I lived in a Mountain village here in Colorado. A mountain lion had been dining on pets for about a month. I caught him one evening enjoying the neighbors German Sheppard and he had no intention of abandoning his meal. My first 30-30 shot was too far back. I had to snap off a second shot into the haunches to slow him....another to the abdomen to slow him more, and finally a lunger stopped him. Granted, with a scope instead of my open sights, the first one might have done the job. The point is, them big kitties is hard to kill!!
Old 12-09-2005, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

A lot of the cat hunters claim to be using a 22WMR sounds a little light but it should be pretty easy to make a heart shot from 25 yds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

I've shot alot of cats with a 22wmr with hollow points, Hang in the tree for just a few seconds and fall with a thud.

Head shots produce instant drops and alot of kicking/convulsions.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

OH! you guys are talkin' mountain lion. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I thought someone said cat! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Silver Member

I let a friend borrow my 10" T/C Contender chambered in 32-20 Winny to take a nice lion last year. I loaded a 115gr Penn Cast bullet and W231 for about 1100fps...did a great job and only left a .30 cal exit hole.