Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

fps needed to kill a Mountain Lion at close range??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Silver Member

fps needed to kill a Mountain Lion at close range??

Hello all! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Anybody have any idea how many fps you would need to kill a Mountain Lion at short range in a tree without blowing a huge hole in the rug? I'm thinking of going with a reduced load in my sons 300WSM using H4895, this should give me about 2500fps with a 135 grain bullet but I think this would still be a little hot. Anybody have any bullet recomendations? A bullet that will hang together and not do serious damage to the rug. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: fps needed to kill a Mountain Lion at close range??

I'd say its way hot! If its in a tree it will be a very short shot. If its bayed up in the rocks its a bit of a different story.

There's bound to be some loads out there using Unique or some such powder.

Figure you'll be shooting UP so small amount of powder wouldn't be a problem it'll be laying on the primer.

I'd suggest, if possible carrying a hand gun (9mm or 38).

Either way if your shooting straight up, give it a big hug as it falls on ya. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Then change your diaper [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Do not just try to reduce the load with standard rifle powder. You could blow you and your gun up!!!

The loading manuals give a min and max load range for each powder do not go below that. That is extrememly dangerous as it can cause a detonation instead of a controlled burn like a small hand grenade going off.

If you want a reduced load, call Sierra or Hornady etc and ask for reduced loads recipes. Normally they will give them to you and recommend using a pistol powder that will but say a 125 gr BTip out around 1800-2000 fps. Sierra also makes some Single shot pistol bullets that work well for this.

BH
Old 12-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Gold Member

shoot a barnes tsx or original x bullet, they wont do any thing but punch a hole through it.

Jm2cw
Old 12-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

I second what Bounty hunter said. Don't get to guessing with reduced loads. It will be your hide with holes in it and you will have no gun to shoot after it blows up.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

o.K.! now there is the kind of info I was after! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Pistol powder is a good suggestion! I was thinking of the TSX as well because all I really want to do is punch a hole in it. Thanks Guys!
Old 12-08-2005, 11:58 PM
Gold Member

From cat hunting. I've been on bow hunts, 243 with 105's, 270 with 140 HP game kings. They only leave 6mm and .277 holes. Pistol 45 cal with ball ammo.

From experience I saw I guy unload his 9mm into a pissed off cat that yanked his 220 pounds off his feet when he was trying to keep his dogs from getting ripped up by a shot out of the tree cat. He got rid of 9mm and 45's just shut them down