Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Found a new clear cut to hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2001, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Found a new clear cut to hunt

Good Luck!

Let us know how the A-Max works.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:05 PM
Bronze Member

Will do. I am abit aprehensive about using a target bullet to hunt with but, the guys at Hornady claim it is a great bullet to use on thin skinned critters. They shoot great I have shot most of my groups under ,5 and a best of .39 5 shot. So far they have been the best grouping bullet out of this gun.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't worry about the bullet too much, as with ALL bullets placement is the key.

I just got back from a hunt and bagged a moose and a large whitetail both with Sierra Matchkings, the critters had no idea that they weren't supposed to die when shot with a non-game bullet! Both were one shot kills, double lung...travel distance after being hit was in the area of 30 and 40 yards respectively. These were not shot at true long range distances the deer at 174 yards and the moose at 439.
Old 11-11-2001, 07:00 PM
PUBLISHER

My 690 yard mulie last week also didn't know it was an A-max target bullet that shredded both of his lungs. As mentioned in my earlier post, the bullet jacket separated from most of the lead core, ended up lodged under the hide on the opposite side. Would have been about 2,200 fps terminal velocity.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 11-12-2001, 12:20 AM
Bronze Member

Found a new clear cut to hunt

I am leaving in the morning to get ready for the opener of deer here in MI. I located a clear cut back in on state land that is over 400 across and just shy of 1200 long!! I am taking the 300 RUM so i have located a nic tree alongthe edge that will give me shot out to 500+ in both directions. Swamp on each ends. Will give me a chance to test my new load on a whitetail. a 178 grn hornady A-MAX I spoke to the guys a hornady and they said that they have tried it on thin skinned animals like whitetail and had great success. WIsh me luck.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:38 PM
Silver Member

Hey Steve, my son lives in Michigan and he was interested in finding just such a location. He's interested in a late in the season place to hunt as he will be traveling on business during the first week of the season. You don't have to, but would you mind sharing your spot location? Thanks.
Old 11-12-2001, 08:21 PM
Bronze Member

Sure I can have him e-mail me. It is state land it is not a secret hard to get to . It took me a few trys to get a way in that was not to hard. The logging road is private access the cut is state bordered by private, 1/4 mile of land in between that is state before the private starts. I did not see any sign of other hunters 4 weeks agao. So I hope when I get ther in the morning it will stillbe with any hunter orange. Well I will be back in a week ...hopefully with a story on a buck that stepped out at 500+ and how a 300 RUM barked and a a big buck fell. Will have to see about that. See ya good hunting to all. May your shot be true.