Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Fouling shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Fouling shots

Ever had a gun that takes more than one fouling shot to get it to group right? Cleaned a gun until no copper was in the bore. Took it out and shot a 5 shot group. First and second shot were an inch vertically apart. 3rd through 5th were pretty much a ragged hole but about an inch left of the 2nd shot. Never had a gun like that before. It's a buddies of mine and he has probably never cleaned but a few times since he has had it.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Fouling shots

Sounds like a chromemoly barrel and the type of cleaning process to me. Some moly tubes do need to settle back in for a number of reasons. But I have found big differences in cleaning solutions for this problem. Try Boretech Elimiator, do not use oil in the barrel and finish with 5 dry patches before you shoot. My rifles are spot on with the first shots even at well past 1000 yards. But they are stainless tubes too.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Its just a factory Model 70 300 RUM blued barrel. Its also a sporter contour so it is a thin barrel which in my view is not good for a large magnum caliber such as the 300 RUM.

I also use Boretech but I use the CU+2 stuff that they came out with. This barrel copper fouls SUPER bad. I even let the Boretech sit in the barrel overnight and was still pulling copper off of the rifling this morning.

I have also found that all of my guns that I own are spot on with the first shot as well with Boretech. That is why I use it. But this is not my gun, and the only differences I can think of are:

1. I break in all of my barrels.
2. I clean them regularly.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
1. I break in all of my barrels.
2. I clean them regularly.
I would agree and add, it is probably time to seat the bullets out farther in the RUM to try to keep up with the erroding throat.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Platinum Member

I wish that I could seat them out further but he doesn't want a single shot. So, I am loading them out to mag length and just doing the best I can from there.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I wish that I could seat them out further but he doesn't want a single shot. So, I am loading them out to mag length and just doing the best I can from there.
Yeah I have been there. Once the throat starts going out (and it dont take long) you add that with the freebore of the rum and you have a pretty large gap to jump.

Jeff
Old 12-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ever had a gun that takes more than one fouling shot to get it to group right? Cleaned a gun until no copper was in the bore. Took it out and shot a 5 shot group. First and second shot were an inch vertically apart. 3rd through 5th were pretty much a ragged hole but about an inch left of the 2nd shot. Never had a gun like that before. It's a buddies of mine and he has probably never cleaned but a few times since he has had it.
Yep, sounds like a rough/poorly/improperly lapped bore.

Most of the factory rifles I've had over the years were similar which is why I just never bothered to clean them frequently and always followed up a cleaning with three fouling shots before sighting in.