Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

FN Mauser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2011, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

FN Mauser

Hello all I am new here. I recentely picked up a J. C. higgins 30-06 from a friend for very cheap. I am looking to build a 6.5 -55 . Would the FN mauser action be ok to build a swede on? I am planning to use a 26 inch kreiger varmit contour with a 1-8.5 twist. I have hunted all my life but just started to reload. Also as an aside could I ream the chamber to say a 6.5 sherman in the future if I want to. Hope you guys dont mind the question thanks Geoge B

P.S. Moderators please move this if this in the wrong forum
Old 02-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Silver Member

Re: FN Mauser

Yes, your FN Belgian '98 is more than adequate for the 6.5x55 Swede. I suggest that if you are building or having this built you chamber with PT&G's 6.5x55 Match reamer. It differs from the SAMMI spec reamer only in throating, it provides the perfect throat for seating 130-140grn bullets near the lands while still feeding from the magazine and can be rented here http://www.reamerrentals.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=362. The SAMMI spec reamer was designed for 160gr round nose bullets and by the time you get seated out to the lands you won't be able to feed from the mag. The FN '98 is recognized as the best commercial Mauser action built and will make a fine rifle. What stock are you planning on using?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstrap3 View Post
Hello all I am new here. I recentely picked up a J. C. higgins 30-06 from a friend for very cheap. I am looking to build a 6.5 -55 . Would the FN mauser action be ok to build a swede on? I am planning to use a 26 inch kreiger varmit contour with a 1-8.5 twist. I have hunted all my life but just started to reload. Also as an aside could I ream the chamber to say a 6.5 sherman in the future if I want to. Hope you guys dont mind the question thanks Geoge B

P.S. Moderators please move this if this in the wrong forum
Most definitely. It is a great action and could be reamed to 6.5 Sherman later on. The Sherman case would increase the capacity by approx. 24 grains which would give you a HUGE boost in performance. It would max out close to 3200' with a 26" barrel and 140 grain bullets....Rich
Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj40mojo View Post
[...]The FN '98 is recognized as the best commercial Mauser action built and will make a fine rifle. What stock are you planning on using?
Not sure what kind of stock you're looking for. But, I bought a Hogue Overmold with the full length aluminum bedding block for my FN '98 rifle. The inletting was perfect. It looks good and handles/shoots nicely.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM

I would also say it would work great for what you are wanting to do. I have an FN Mauser currently chambered in 300 WBY that I am going to turn in to something else as well. Not sure what I want to go with yet but something in the 6.5 or 7mm range is what I am thinking as well.........
Old 02-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
Not sure what kind of stock you're looking for. But, I bought a Hogue Overmold with the full length aluminum bedding block for my FN '98 rifle. The inletting was perfect. It looks good and handles/shoots nicely.
I've got a FN Mauser (JC Higgins M50) that I picked up for cheap and am planning a .280AI build on it. Haven't made up my mind about the stock yet. B&C Medalist Varmint is on the short list but I'll have to look into the Hogue, never handled one. Krieger 1:9 #3 or #4 contour, Timney Featherweight trigger, Tubbs Speedlock kit. Should be a tack driver.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:58 PM
Bronze Member

Hello gang and thanks very much for the responses. I have not decided what to do for a stock, I thought about making one myself but I havent seen hardly any stocks that arnt plastic/composite in the pics i see here. Mojo made a good observation regarding the type of reamer. I want to be able to feed bullets from the magazine, will I be in trouble with the over all length if I want to go to the Berger VLD type. I read on this site someplace that there generally a certain amount of jump where the bullet will shoot well. can I use the reamer that mojo ( sorry I cant remember your exact handle) mentioned, have the bullet fit in the magazine and still be the correct length to shoot the Bergers? I also really intend to go to the Sherman cartridge fairly soon. I just donr have enough knlowledge or confidence to fire form brass and that may be required to shoot a wild cat. Thanks very much for all the responses. Any more thoughts are more than welcome thanks George B