Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Flyers in group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM

Flyers in group

So I have a new custom .30-06 and got a good load. Today it would shoot one dead bullseye and the next would be inch low and inch right. My group was in dime size at 100 yardson bullseye but I had 3 in the same spot inch low and inch right.

Am I pulling the shot some of the time? Causing it to shoot a little right and low every third shot? What could cause this type of pattern? Thanks for any help.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Flyers in group

Low right is indicative of right hand shooter clutching the trigger, rather than squeezing. A possibility to examine.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Gold Member

If it's a custom built rifle then there should have been some test targets come with the gun that the gunsmith shot to prove it's basic accuracy. What you describe is a double group and that could be a faulty scope or loose scope mount.
When in doubt always suspect the scope mount first and then the scope and then the projectiles and then the load , bad brass could be at fault , try new cases , If all check out ok then suspect you and then the gun.
30-06 has a bit of recoil so you may not be controlling the recoil all the time or trying to shoot it like a low recoil BR gun . You don't say how you ae shooting it but try firming up your hold and hold the forend down on the rest if not using a bi-pod .
Old 02-07-2012, 04:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet bumper View Post
If it's a custom built rifle then there should have been some test targets come with the gun that the gunsmith shot to prove it's basic accuracy. What you describe is a double group and that could be a faulty scope or loose scope mount.
When in doubt always suspect the scope mount first and then the scope and then the projectiles and then the load , bad brass could be at fault , try new cases , If all check out ok then suspect you and then the gun.
30-06 has a bit of recoil so you may not be controlling the recoil all the time or trying to shoot it like a low recoil BR gun . You don't say how you ae shooting it but try firming up your hold and hold the forend down on the rest if not using a bi-pod .
Excellent information! I was bothered I didn't have better suggestions.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Silver Member

Not enough clear info, how are you shooting bipod, bench rest, bags etc load data

How many shot grousps (3 shots) two with a flyer (5shots) two in one hole three in the other?

if it is two grouping seating depth is the first thing to deal with.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the great info. I am shooting off a bench with bags on front and supporting rear. It's a nightforce scope. TPS rings and bases. All solid and tight. I am trying to squeeze them off very easy and probably not holding on tight enough. Not a big rifle either. About 11 pounds with scope and everything. That help explain?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Gold Member

Are there any sling studs on the stock , as they could be digging into the bags and upsetting recoil tracking.
A photo of your setup is worth a thousand words. I once got a guy in Germany to send me a photo of his rifle set up to shoot on the bench at his range.
Well the mistakes were then obvious, Rear bag bacwards , sling studs catching , bench system was a rickity floppy thing , front bags looked like a pile of cow dung . etc etc. A rifle with some recoil fired from the bench needs a good solid rest setup that will not collapse and move about each time you fire. Or an Atlas bi-pod at the front and a Protektor rear bag .