Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Fly leftovers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Fly leftovers

All of those bullets will work just fine so I would just shoot the ones your gun likes best.

8208 is supposed to be the best powder ever made for the 6ppc but I have never used it. If you have enough, use it but if not, don't waste it shooting flies. N133 would be better for that and it is still available (although it is hard to get right at the moment) or maybe you could try H322.

I am getting some double radiused and boat tail bullets soon and we will see how they work. Right now I'm shooting Flat base bullets in my ppc. It is the only gun I shoot flat base bullets in! I have always been told that FB bullets work better in ppc's but lately there seems to be a bunch of guys shooting BT bullets and doing well. I asked a 25 year veteran of Benchrest how much difference a BT bullet makes at 100 yards versus a FB and he said that in a direct crosswind of 10 mph, the BT might keep your group together by 1 bullet diameter. That is not much and he said they usually do not agg throughout the season quite as well as a fb.

I have not shot this gun at 300 yards yet but I suppose I will later this summer.

I hate those hitch-hiker varmints!
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Apparently the VV drought for BR shooters has ended for a while. 133 is available in 8lb canisters buy it while you can! Listen to everything the old BR shooters say, those old codgers know some stuff. Don Garaci helped me work up a couple of loads that shoot tiny little groups. I am going to thank him for helping me by taking him fly hunting.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

I think I'm going to have a custom fly rifle built.

What is the minimum caliber for ethical fly hunting?

Do you think a bonded core would be necessary?

If you wound a fly do you follow up on foot or hire someone with trail dogs to follow up?

What reticle is best for fly hunting?

Is there a special ranging reticle made or do you use the Mil-Dot Fly Master?

And last but not least... Are you utilizing all the meat from the flies or are you just a shameless trophy hunter?

$bob$
Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

GG
Shooting fly's sure is fun!! so much so that a few years ago I made a target with flys on it just for fun!
I had shot at some flys and needed a target with just a small aiming dot so I downloaded a gif of a fly and pasted it on a paper for a target. five flies per page 8.5x11.
Anybody want a copy PM me with a fax number and I'll shoot it over to Ya!

CAM