Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

flutting a 20" barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 PM

flutting a 20" barrel

hello i am new here and knew to custom guns as well as long range shooting. i just got my first semi custom finished and i had wanted the barrel flutted and when i picked up it had not been. my gun smith said it would have messed up the harmonics on the little 20" barrel is this true or did he just not want to do it and know i wouldnt know enough to argue.thanks for your time and help
Old 01-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: flutting a 20" barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker31 View Post
hello i am new here and knew to custom guns as well as long range shooting. i just got my first semi custom finished and i had wanted the barrel flutted and when i picked up it had not been. my gun smith said it would have messed up the harmonics on the little 20" barrel is this true or did he just not want to do it and know i wouldnt know enough to argue.thanks for your time and help
When done correctly it does not hurt accuracy. If it is a light barrel #4 contour or lighter it should
not be fluted. by anyone except the barrel maker in my opinion.

So he may have decided it was to light and did not want to hurt the accuracy potential, Or he
wasn't equipped to do fluting.

If it shoots good I wouldn't mess with it even though you wanted it done.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
When done correctly it does not hurt accuracy. If it is a light barrel #4 contour or lighter it should
not be fluted. by anyone except the barrel maker in my opinion.

So he may have decided it was to light and did not want to hurt the accuracy potential, Or he
wasn't equipped to do fluting.

If it shoots good I wouldn't mess with it even though you wanted it done.

J E CUSTOM
Probably the latter. 'Fluting' as it's called is machining with a ball mill and I know of very few 'gunsmiths' that are equipped or have the machining experience to flute a barrel.

Barrel makers use CNC mills to create the fluting or a pattern. Certainly not something to be attempted by someone not intimately familiar with that discipline.

It could be done utilizing a dividing head, tailstock center and a manual miller with enough table travel, but still difficult at best.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:17 PM

he does in house flutting he told me that he would not do "deep flutting" i dont know if there is a real name for it. he makes shallow but wide flutes maybe only 3 or 4 go the whole way around the barrel. the gun shoots far better than i can, i was just wanting it lighter and it looks good to me. if i wanted to replce it down the road who would make one so short with flutes
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Platinum Member

Aesthetics are one thing, practicality is another. Perhaps the barrel wasn't of sufficient thickness to warrant the machining. Bull barrels are usually the ones that are fluted.

Weight savings is negligible.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Platinum Member

The issue I see here is that you contracted for a specific job and he didn't do it.

If he felt like there was a problem with fluting your barrel he should have told you so when you ordered it.

To be honest here it sounds like he forgot to do it, or didn't have a fluted blank sitting around when he got to yours.

You can order barrels directly from the manufacturers at any stage of completion from straight stock to finished and chambered which also includes ordering one that is already fluted for him to chamber and fit.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker31 View Post
he does in house flutting he told me that he would not do "deep flutting" i dont know if there is a real name for it. he makes shallow but wide flutes maybe only 3 or 4 go the whole way around the barrel. the gun shoots far better than i can, i was just wanting it lighter and it looks good to me. if i wanted to replce it down the road who would make one so short with flutes
Don't know... you'll have to show us a picture so we can tell you if its junk or not! Shoot it and enjoy it!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!