Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

flutes or no flutes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Gold Member

Re: flutes or no flutes

Stress relieving or not a button rifled barrel will grow if recontoured. I talked with Hart about it because I have a 1.450" barrel of theirs that I was wanting to have recontoured. They relap the barrel after recontouring to make sure the barrel keeps the .0001" from end to end. If you look on their site for recontouring it mentions lapping with the recontouring charge.

I've also asked numerous cut rifled barrel makers if it is worth doing fluting for the weight savings. Most said the same thing...you wont see a accuracy difference between a fluted barrel of one weight and a non fluted barrel of equal weight.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

I'm fluting for weight reduction. Krieger told me about 6 oz weight reduction is gained by fluting. I think I read on Lilja's web site where they stated approximately 8 oz weight reduction.

I can go one profile larger in size and end up with approximately the same barrel weight as the next smaller contour barrel. And the barrel will be stiffer than the smaller contoured barrel. Which is why the barrel I just ordered from Obermeyer will be fluted.

My hunting rifles are packing rifles and 6-8oz does make a difference - for me.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

You can listen to John Krieger talk about fluting a cut rifled barrel here:

I love the way a nice fluted barrel looks!
Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Silver Member

After reading some of the replies I would only be fluting for aesthetics. Is it worth the extra $125? Not to me! That is my new trigger or $ towards a stock or something. Thanks for the replies Ryan
Old 01-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

Fluting is to take off weight, and look cool. If it needs to lose some in the front, to balance right, then fluting the tube may do it for you. If you want it to look good, flutes can be the cat's meow, especially painted. If you're not looking for either of these, then leave it be.