Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

FLINCHING - How Do You Deal with IT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: FLINCHING - How Do You Deal with IT?

+3 on dry fire. I've been practicing this more and more. It's still hard not to flinch at times but I'm definitely improving.

In addition I've taken up shooting a .22 bolt action rifle just to work on shot control. I don't really care what the groups are doing (ie. the rifle's accuracy) but I have learned a lot about my breathing, grip, trigger squeeze, etc. It also really showed me how much a good - or bad - trigger can affect your accuracy.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Do any of you guys use Snap Caps for your dry firing?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

In the old days my red-neck way to deal with flinching was to fire a couple of rounds through the sawed off H&R with 3" slugs or fire the 50BMG a couple of times, if your a real hero do it with the without the brake.....Nuthin kicks after that!!!! Seriously it works.
These days my shoulder is WAY too soft to even joke about it so I've adopted a couple of sainer ways to deal with flinching. Ear plugs and muffs help a lot with a rifle with a brake! That and getting a brake that doesnt slap you in the face helps. Useing the lightest bullet that will get the job done is also a good idea.....My little 708 shoots the 162 grain Amax very well but the 120 grain Noslers get the job done on deer and goats with a whole lot less recoil!
Shooting a lot of smaller rounds helps with form. Shooting prairie dogs all summer is a great way to lead up to the fall hunting season with the bigger rounds. I find that the less I shoot the bigger rounds the better, once I have the load dialed and double check the range card against actual field conditions it gets put away till needed. The barrels last longer and its cheaper to practice with the smaller rounds.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fingervic View Post
Do any of you guys use Snap Caps for your dry firing?
Yes, I do.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

A few things that have helped:

A few years ago I bought a halfway decent pellet gun. This gives me plenty of trigger time in the backyard. Most halfway decent pellet guns have not to good of a trigger. If you can shoot those, you can shoot anything.

Dry firing. When I first set up on a bench or prone in the field, I dry fire a little to make sure everythings where I want it. If your rest is as solid as you think it is, you will see a slight movement through the scope when the hammer falls.

I sometimes use one of the pact recoil pads. This helps with the big boomers or a real light gun.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Most of you have probably already read that I use slip on recoil pads for my magnum rifles and they reduce the felt recoil considerably. But with a 300 RUM, it still gives a pretty good jolt. However there is no sharp or prolonged pain. When I used to fire my 7mm RM without a slip-on, I was usually good to about 20 rounds and then the pain did cause some anticiaption and flinching.

Dry firing is great, but if you get to a certain pain threshold, flinching is going to be very hard to control. If you have enough ability to concentrate and by concentrate I mean mentally disaccosiating breaking the trigger with recoil. My opinion is you just have to not think about the recoil and sound and it's consequences.

If you think you have a flinch a good way to see it and help deal with it is use dummy rounds. Have a friend load your rifle and occasionally slip in a dummy. It can be a real eye opener.

-Mark

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 02-02-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

It has taken a while but flinching is no longer an issue with me esp in the field lol. During competition with the guy on the right shooting a 338 Lapua and the guy on the left shooting a 300 win mag it can be a challenge but if you like to win and I do then you work through it.

Agree that on the bench with someone feeding the rounds and the empty is in the chamber it will separate the men from the boys..