Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

flinching drills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Re: flinching drills

In the archery world it's called target panic. When shooting a bow you can get release aids that don't have a traditional trigger mechanism on them, so you have a tough time knowing exactly when it is going off. Maybe try shooting with a glove on so you don't know exactly when it is going off.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

thank you all very much for your input it is all very useful
i don't have a muzzle break i do have snap caps that i practice with every chance i get, the trigger on my gun is 2lbs, i think a smaller and lighter gun would help me out allot as the system i am using is 13 lbs and soaks up allot of the little movements also i think that you are right that the sound is what is affecting me allot and doubling up on the hearing protection should help me out
thanks again for all your help
Old 07-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

You don't need snap caps to dry fire a center fire rifle, but use 'em if you got 'em.

In my experience the following is a good way to ward off flinching.

Mount a target somewhere indoors (so you can practice at night). This target may be a little blurry through your scope because most centerfire scopes have a minimum parallax set at about 25 yrds.

Dry fire on target (offhand), concentrating on crosshair movement. Repeat night after night until you can achieve a smooth let off and FOLLOW THROUGH with minimal cross hair movement...and until you can transfer this feeling/sensation/sound to releasing the trigger on a live round (not at the same indoor target, of course ). Repeat as necessary.

Practicing with a pellet gun with a heavy trigger and stout come-back (like a RWS 48), is also good anti-flinch medicine. You must really hold, squeeze and follow through on these sobs to shoot good groups,

Last edited by LewisH; 07-23-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Russ M,

I have found that I start flinching when I try to shoot faster, than when I shoot in a very paused way, letting the barrel cool down and my mind reset for a new shot, works for me. I try to concentrate in squeezing the trigger very softly. When I try to rush rounds or groups of shots I start flinching.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:15 AM
Bronze Member

I also use the indoor target method for my dry fire practice. I also use a coin rested at the tip of the barrel. If you move even ever so slightly it will fall off.
Start with a quarter and work your way up to a dime. It may take some time but your flinch will go away.
It's been years since I picked up a noticeable flinch but I dry fire 100's of thousands of times in a year. I shoot a 338 edge @16 lbs. with no break and 300 mk. I think the amount of rounds I send down range through this rifle caliber combo. keeps the flinch gremlins at bay. I go through 3-4 barrels in 1 year with each rifle I own. Each rifle gets 5-7 thousand rounds.
Keep shootin'!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Bronze Member

Gotta throw in my .02...
I definitely agree with the "double up on hearing protection" suggestion.
Completely tame the recoil. A lead sled, shoulder pad, anything that will make it so that a 6 year old can comfortably shoot 100 rounds without any discomfort.
Don't use a "rock solid" shooting rest for a while. Put that lead sled on a card table or something that wobbles a little. Concentrate on sight picture, breathing control and trigger control to the exclusion of all else. Squeeze the trigger when the sights are on, stop when they drift off. Squeeze the trigger while your breath is good, stop when you're running out of air. If you feel yourself tensing up or getting ready to jerk the trigger, let it off and start again. It will take a few sessions before everything comes together all of the time, but you'll develop sound shooting technique that from there you only have to maintain.
I find that when I shoot an auto loading .22 I tend not to worry as much about my shooting technique and just pop off rounds (although it is a lot of fun). With a single shot, I take more time and try to do it right, so you may want to take that into consideration if you try that route.
Good luck,
Coyoter
Old 07-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Gold Member

Hi Russ,

Do a lot of DRY FIRING as they are REAL ROUNDS.
STAGE I:
- Get in shooting position at home (unloaded rifle)
- close your eyes (or work in the dark room)
- control and focus on your your breath (2-3 breaths)
- stop your breath
- slowly put pressure on the trigger till you are close to the breaking point.
- STOP THERE... do not increase the pressure.
- release the pressure on the trigger.
- come back and put the pressure on the trigger till you are close to the breaking point.
- slowly break the point.
- start breathing again
- open your eyes.
DO THIS 3 SERIES OF 20 TIMES per day

STAGE II:
-ALL THE ABOVE BUT in the day lite at a target. (no live ammo)
- DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES WHEN BREAKING THE TRIGER.
- after breaking the trigger stay on position, and wait for the muzzle to come back, and record the jumping direction.
- MAKE NOTE OF EVERY JUMPING DIRECTION AND ASSOCIATE THIS WITH THE PRESSURE WHAT DID YOU USED TO BREAKE THE TRIGGER
- after session done, review your notes, and you will notice a pattern of good or bad breaking points.

Do 4x30 dry firing in every day for a 2-3 weeks

STAGE III:
Get at the range with LIVE AMMO.
- all the above from Stage II, but before every live ammo, do 2 dry firing and notice muzzle jump and record in the Notebook
- insert live ammo, and notice the muzzle jump when you press the trigger.

AS A REVIEW YOU WILL NOTICE ALL THE GOOD DRY FIRING AND LIVE AMMO FIRING WILL HAVE THE SAME MUZZLE JUMP DIRECTION.
- after 2 weeks you will start slowly use the technic before every live shot(2 dry firing)
- your flinck will graduately dissapear, but focus on the pressure breaking point and muzzle jump after the shoot
- just seen the muzzle jump you will know if your shoot was good or bad.

- You will get a habit of dry firing before taking live shoot.( helps on controling the pulsation of the heart, breath cycle, and no flinck on the trriger)