Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

flinching drills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 AM
Silver Member

flinching drills

i am finding my self fliching alot it is taking my groups from sub moa to aprox 1.5 moa i have snap caps and am usine them every chance i get to work on it. my gun dose not make my shoulder soar, the recoil dose not hurt, and still i am flinching. do any of you have some good drills or things i could do to work on this.
thank you in advance for your input
Old 07-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: flinching drills

I had a problem with this a while back. I just shot my Ruger 10-22 a bunch. Then I would take it to the range with me and shoot it in between shooting my other rifles.

Tom
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Bronze Member

You could try using a bench rest like a lead sled for a a few shots. It sems to help mentally as you find yourself concentrateing on nothig but the target. Then transfer to your normal shooting positions.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

If the gun dose not kick much, it is probably the noise. Try doubling up on ear protection and try shooting the 22 alot.
Dry firing helps.
Have a shooting budy load the gun with the snap cap so you do not know wich round to see if your really fliniching.
Dose it have a brake on it?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

I developed a flinch when I used to shoot my .300WM Sendero. Like you said it didn't kick that bad, was more of a shove than a smack. I couldn't shake it so I traded the rifle for a .243 Rem 700 Varmint Special. Shoothing that "little" rifle seemed to settle my mind and me down. I'm back shooting the .300 again. Different rifle altoghther and hasn't bothered me at all. This rifle (112BVSS) has a laminated stock, it's a single shot (no magazine/bottom metal) and feels beefier than the HS Precision stocked Sendero.
There's still more recoil than a .243 but I guess my mind has convinced my muscles it's OK to relax. Wow, that's weird. I was out yesterday shooting a different .243 and .300. I shot them both at 300yds and again at 550yds.
The .243/w 75gn Hornady HP's and the .300/w 180gn SMK's. I shot a 3.641" group at 300 with the .300WM(not so great) and a 4.7155" at 550yds. That wasn't too bad and would have been better if I had paid more attention to the slight (4mph) wind. I have definately gotten tighter groups with the Nosler Ballistic Tips.
The .243 (Win70 HVB) shot a 1.457" at 300yds but at 550yd I only got on paper 2 outta 3 shots. Those two bullets were only 1.5" apart. I know, I know, two shot groups don't count! Not sure what happened, but I remember one of those three sounding a bit "squibbish". Not exactly sure but I think it landed vertically in-line with the center but about 6-7" low. All loads were dispensed/weighed on my RCBS ChargeMaster. Who knows.
Anyway, you might want to try shooting a lighter recoiling rifle until your mind settles. Works for me. JohnnyK.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Silver Member

No doubt dry firing practice, as mentioned above. Get a snap cap.
How's the trigger pull on that rifle. 9 pounders result in tugs not squeezes.

I once pulled up on a nice benchleg at 300+ yds, after a nice sleepy morning overlooking a likely draw. First trigger pull was with the safety on,...
FLINCH!
Oops!, safety off, squeeze, dead deer!

Funny how excitement can ruin the best training.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

+1 on every thing said.

Flinching can be caused by sound as stated and it has nothing to do with how much recoil
you can tolerate, It has to do with mussel memory and your nervious system.

Shooting a small bore(Like the 22 rf) alot will help with mussel memory and the extra hearing
protection will help with the nervous system.

The sugestion to have someone else load your rifle will work because you will not want to flinch
in front of them so you will train your self not to.

And hopefully when you get that shot you will tell your self not to after training your self at the
bench.

You have made the first and most important step buy excepting the problem. And don't let
anyone tell you that they have never flinched ! Because we have all done it at one time or
another.

I don't use muzzle breaks on any of my rifles (17HMR to 416s and I have to concentrate to
keep from flinching. Because it is truley mind over matter .

J E CUSTOM