Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

From flat land to Mountains how to prepair?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Gold Member

From flat land to Mountains how to prepair?

In 2011 I will be heading out west for a long range Cow elk hunt. I will be doing a archery bull hunt in ID on way back stopping in CO to pop a cow. My question is how do I prepair for the ALT/Angle shots? I live in Low IN 800 something is my elevation. How do I prepair a drop chart for 6000+ ALT? Do I just trust my ballistic calculator? On that note I am using Ballistic FTE on my iphone for now.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Re: From flat land to Mountains how to prepair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesthunter View Post
In 2011 I will be heading out west for a long range Cow elk hunt. I will be doing a archery bull hunt in ID on way back stopping in CO to pop a cow. My question is how do I prepair for the ALT/Angle shots? I live in Low IN 800 something is my elevation. How do I prepair a drop chart for 6000+ ALT? Do I just trust my ballistic calculator? On that note I am using Ballistic FTE on my iphone for now.
I use the same calculator on my Iphone. I live in California. So far it has done well for me. On paper it is suppose to account for elevation, temp, pressure, spin drift, and all that sniper joe stuff. As far as angle shooting. Some of your range finders at the upper end of the pricing spectrum have angle compensation built in to them. That might be something to look at.

http://web.me.com/rdsii64/shooter64
Old 05-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Walk, walk and walk to get in shape... Drink lots of water ahead of time and be well hydrated.

I always do a 3 , 5 and 800 yards shot on a target when I get there at the average elevation I will be shooting to see I am on track with my program. The amimal deserves this. Then make an adjustment if needed.

If you are in decent health and shape you will be fine. I simply rest often and glass while resting.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2010, 01:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Walk, walk and walk to get in shape... Drink lots of water ahead of time and be well hydrated.

I always do a 3 , 5 and 800 yards shot on a target when I get there at the average elevation I will be shooting to see I am on track with my program. The amimal deserves this. Then make an adjustment if needed.

If you are in decent health and shape you will be fine. I simply rest often and glass while resting.

Jeff
I was thinking about shooting when I get there. I'm in great shape so thats not an issue. I have been out west before Utah archery hunting. Been all over yellowstone sight seeing. So I know what to expect from that aspect.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

As far as up and down hill shooting and getting your adjusted ranges try one of these or a similar product.

Defensive Edge Products

The other thing is practice, practice, practice.

Good Luck

Southpaw
Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

The shooting and physical condition recommendations given are good.

If its your first time out west in the big mountains the shear size of the area may well be mind boggling.

Be careful of drainages. Heaven forbid you switch drainages coming down a ridge.

Topos, compass, google earth with gps capability help with confidence.

Been there, done that and am too embarrassed to wear the tee shirt.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Gold Member

what unit/area in Idaho will you be hunting in.
I hunt in unit 18/riggins area.
I would deffinently shoot when you get there.