Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

Fixed power scope ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Fixed power scope ?

I'm looking at purchasing another scope to be used strictly for target shooting. From 100 yards to 1000 yards. I've always had variable scopes but the price is pretty enticing for a fixed power. I realize you can't adjust power to compensate for heavy mirage but shooting is just for hobby not competition. I know I will get conflicting opinions but I would like some input.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Gold Member

Re: Fixed power scope ?

What kind of fixed power are you thinking about? 10x 20x or something like a 36x? I like a good 10x as it is versatile enough but I do miss the higher magnification when I use it. I have not used the higher mag fixed models and that is where you may or may not have issue with mirage. Lot of benchrest folks have managed to deal with it and while I wouldn't want a high power hunting scope, for a strictly target scope I agree it is pretty tempting at times.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

I used a fixed power (10x) Leupold for the benchrest league I shoot in with no issue. Its actually easier to deal with in a benchrest scenario than a twister. Its the only one I have and I've never really considered it to be deficient in any way.

I don't believe it would work good in the field but for known distsances and the bench atmosphere, ut's fine.... and it's lightweight.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Silver Member

Well, after reading all the posts I have decided to stick with variable. I actually ordered it today. I want the capability to zoom if needed. I was trying to save a few dollars by going fixed. My original thought was to mount it on one of LR guns and just shoot LR target with it. I have a friend who has different silhouettes and targets out to about 975 yards. My eyes are not as good as they used to be and I have not given in to the fact I could probably use a set of specs. My funds are sort of limited so I have to switch scopes every now and then. I appreciate all the input and I realize different things fit different folks better. If you're wondering what I decided on it is the Sightron SIII 6x24x50 with the MOA2 reticle. I owned a gun shop for a while and sold Sightrons when they first came out. I would install them and take them out and sight them in for my customers. I was amazed on how accurate they tracked. Everything I've read about the SIII's glass has been very positive. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

Good call. 6-24x50 is the best thing since sliced bread. IMHO