Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First time shooting at 1000 yards video

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 02:03 PM
Bronze Member

First time shooting at 1000 yards video

I've been a long time lurker, but only posted in the hunting section. Having been a hunter for most of my life I only recently became interested in long range shooting, and I must say, it's quite fun.

There have been multiple times in the past while on Mule deer hunts we have spotted big mule deer ( 180+) out past 1000 yards. The typical scenario was to run our asses off to within shooting range and try and make the shot. Usually because of the distance and time it took to get within shooting distance they often slipped away, which is when I decided to invest in a long range rifle.

My rig is pretty basic. It's the Tikka T3 superlite, chambered in 7mm RM. Topping the gun is a Huskemaw 5x20x50 Blue Diamond scope. Cartridges are handloads, and trigger pull has been reduced to 2.5 lbs

Recently I went out to do some shooting and was able to shoot at 1000 yards. For reference, the target is a 15"x 15" steel plate mounted to a steel fence post. A camera was set up to record the shots, and here is some of the footage.

Personally I'm very happy with my rifle and the groups but really don't know if they are considered exceptional by any means. Comments and advice are most welcome. Thanks

1000 yard, 3 shot group - YouTube

Last edited by overkill; 01-29-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: First time shooting at 1000 yards video

Nice shooting tex
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkill View Post
I've been a long time lurker, but only posted in the hunting section. Having been a hunter for most of my life I only recently became interested in long range shooting, and I must say, it's quite fun.

There have been multiple times in the past while on Mule deer hunts we have spotted big mule deer ( 180+) out past 1000 yards. The typical scenario was to run our asses off to within shooting range and try and make the shot. Usually because of the distance and time it took to get within shooting distance they often slipped away, which is when I decided to invest in a long range rifle.

My rig is pretty basic. It's the Tikka T3 superlite, chambered in 7mm RM. Topping the gun is a Huskemaw 5x20x50 Blue Diamond scope. Cartridges are handloads, and trigger pull has been reduced to 2.5 lbs

Recently I went out to do some shooting and was able to shoot at 1000 yards. For reference, the target is a 15"x 15" steel plate mounted to a steel fence post. A camera was set up to record the shots, and here is some of the footage.

Personally I'm very happy with my rifle and the groups but really don't know if they are considered exceptional by any means. Comments and advice are most welcome. Thanks

1000 yard, 3 shot group - YouTube
Outstanding.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:09 AM

Ya that's good shooting. What load are you shooting??
Old 01-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Platinum Member

Excellent shooting. Very well done!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue mountain hunter View Post
Ya that's good shooting. What load are you shooting??
Thanks!
Handloads using Hornandy brass, CCI Magnum primers, RL 22 powder and 162 gr. Hornady A-max bullets.