Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First time shooting at 1000+ today. FUN!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First time shooting at 1000+ today. FUN!!!

Great videos and shooting !!!!

Mirage was boiling really good which confirms your wind read of very still and going almost directly away from you to the target.

In spite of that the groups were dang small!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Great videos and shooting !!!!

Mirage was boiling really good which confirms your wind read of very still and going almost directly away from you to the target.

In spite of that the groups were dang small!!!
Thanks! Like I said, this was the first time I have shot 1000+ and honestly the only time seriously shooting at over 500. A couple weeks ago my wife and I shot a rock at 785. I'm hooked. I've shot at rocks at long ranges before but just holding over with my hunting rifles and not being serious about it. But I'm tying to learn everything I can and hopefully make one or two of the shoots down in Townsend so you experienced shooters can tell me what I'm doing wrong! I was proud of my results despite the fact that I forgot my shooting mat and rear bag! Laying on prairie grass this time of year feels like laying on needles
Old 03-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin_fool View Post
so you experienced shooters can tell me what I'm doing wrong!
I don't think you are doing any thing wrong.

I learned a bunch from your post.

If you wouldn't keep mentioning it was y'all's first serious attempt no one would have known.

Take an experienced LR shooter to a new spot and if they are not super attentive to the details they can get snookered pretty bad.

I made very good shooting rig look like it had a bent barrel. I knew the guy who was very experienced at this specific spot was thinking "He paid how much and to whom for this rig"?

I gave it to him to shoot and was duly impressed as was he.

With real estate it's all about location. With LR and beyond its all about experience.

I hear ya about no mat. I absent mindedly (not unusual) laid the mat over a nice flat ant hill. Once I figgered out what was goin' on I made Gypsy Rosalie look slow.