Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First time out w/ 308

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Bronze Member

First time out w/ 308

Finally was able to get out to the range with the 308 for a break in period. It is a Remington VLS 26" - 1:12T Bull Barrel topped with a Leupold VXII 3.5 x 12 x 44mm and a Harris bi-pod. I do not reload, YET, so I bought the cheaper Hornaday Steel Match 155gr BTHP. I was impressed with the caliber and the round. Every 3 shots I cleaned the bore and followed this process with 50 rounds. It did not take long to get it dialed in at 100yds. 1/2" group....going to the farm in a couple of weeks where I can reach out 300-500 yds. Going to pick up some more of the 155gr and also some 168gr match ammo and see how it does at those distances. Really really pleased with the set up.....

Take your kids hunting and fishing...no experience like it!!!!!

Follow us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BoneHeadHuntClub

http://www.facebook.com/RunningwithDanny

Like our page and join in the fight to Find the Cure for Cystic Fibrosis
Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: First time out w/ 308

Very nice looking rig; and not suprisingly a shooter to boot! My factory bull barrel shoots Federal Premium Gold Medal Ammunition 308 Winchester 168 Grain Sierra MatchKing Hollow Point Boat Tails well all day long. I don't reload either and found this stuff cheap [ $20 ] by internet shopping.

Good shooting and Happy Holidays

Old 12-10-2011, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

I would stick with the 155's until you can get into reloading. It's a better bullet for going to 1000 w/ in .308 anyways until you jump up to 175+ grain bullets. Measure outside to outside, then subtract .308 from your group size. That is the actual size of the group. Your at an advantage being able to shoot the steel ammo. It will be a lot more affordable. Call Leupold and order some target turrets for that scope too. Nice rig.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-11-2011, 01:08 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys

Hunt- what website did you find it so cheap

Tank- thanks for the correction on the grouping. So I shot a .192 grouping. NICE!!!!!

Take your kids hunting and fishing...no experience like it!!!!!

Follow us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/BoneHeadHuntClub

http://www.facebook.com/RunningwithDanny

Like our page and join in the fight to Find the Cure for Cystic Fibrosis
Old 12-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Silver Member

GlensOutdoors.com | Glen's Army Navy Store - Your Online Outdoor Store!

Back in April...but they are having a killer sale right now as well! The way I found them originally was by entering GM308M into Google using the advanced search function and time parameters. I often locate hard to find items this way.

Good shooting!

Matt