Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First time for everything 1000 yard group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 01:15 AM
Bronze Member

Re: First time for everything 1000 yard group

I wanted to add... I also use the Quickloads program. For those that don't know it comes with a couple pretty good ballistics programs. I am sold on it completely. If I enter the correct data, it gives me the correct firing solutions, or at least it has so far. It is even very accurate with what it comes up with for predicting velocities, so long as I enter all of the crucial information about the gunsite conditions. I am sure there are better programs available, but this one sure works for me.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Plain Jane RCBS FL dies and seater? Interesting. When you get your neck die, don't throw away your RCBS dies... they seem to be working just fine. How does that saying go? If it isn't broke....

I wouldn't say that's luck, those are a very consistent couple of groups.

Hard to say why the 1 o'clock bullet is "way" up there @ 1273 yds. It could be a lot of things. Not sure what chrony you're using but even the best, like an Oehler 35 are subject to some error. Average off the shelf chrony's claim +/- .5 accuracy which amounts to about 150 fps @ 3000 fps. Your groups say that your loads are very consistent. I wouldn't sweat the bullet that wandered off a little. For a stock Rem Sendero using plain Jane RCBS dies, you're doing well. I only hope I can do as well.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Bronze Member

I appreciate the comment.

The neck sizer is just something I want to try so I can make the brass last a little longer. I use the term luck because I know this is hard stuff to pull off especially with a factory gun, and "inexpensive" equipment, dies and such. I must've gotten pretty good quality stuff I guess. Maybe we don't all need the highest price stuff out there to accomplish our goals? Some folks would not be happy with 5" at 1273 yards. Those folks probably have the best equipment money can buy, and can group an inch or less? Me, I am definetly satisfied.

Well I am off again to try a longer shot today. The wind has picked up a bit, should make it interesting.

Mike
Old 01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member

I think most BR shooters would be happy with 2" and 5" groups @ 1K and 1273. Granted they shoot 5 and 10 shot groups, but they are also shooting full tricked out BR rifles under very controlled conditions. I would be thrilled with those results.

I don't know about 7 RUMs, but my 300 RUM goes through cases in about 5-6 shots. The primer pockets get stretched, so I don't worry much about the necks. But less work stress on the necks would lead to more consistent tension.

Good luck today!

Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Well, here is what I came up with today. Not as tight as I was hoping for.

I shot four rounds at 1475 yards. They were going a little faster than the 1273yard shot because the brass weight was 2 grains more today. The first one went right over the top, and the next three after I came down 1 MOA grouped. The group size was 20.5"

I tried again about an hour later, the wind changed directions and was blowing 5 mph so I redid my calcs. and this is the best I did with three shots.

One high left on target, one in the dirt to the left in the painted circle, and who knows about the third. I don't think I was reading the wind very good there. My ammo was not as consistent today either, I was averaging about 3120fps. Low was 3116 high was 3128, with one @ 3183! Don't know what happened there? I guess the average was higher than 3120. The first three might still be good enough for elk at that range, but I think I will keep on practicing.