Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First time for everything 1000 yard group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: First time for everything 1000 yard group

Call up MGM Targets and get you some AR500! Then there will be no doubt of your hits.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Bronze Member

I went back to shoot today. I thought I was shooting at 1200yds, but was hitting low on the first three, so I remeasured the distance. The target was 1273 yards away. After I corrected that I managed to get a 5" group on the next three.

You can just barely see the target, it is center of Chrony, at the base of the trees in background. There is a hint of orange.

The group was 5 inches, on an old microwave I found in the junk pile, and painted orange.

Does this mean I can post in the ELR forum?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Unless I missed it, you still didn't tell us what kind of rifle you are using?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry about that, I thought I did. It is a factory Remington Sendero 7mmRUM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

That is some awesome shooting! What were your reloading techniques and procedures and dies?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 01-17-2013, 07:57 PM

Wow, thats awesome shooting. I've been contemplating rifle purchases, I think I'm leaning towards the Sendero after seeing your results.
Great post!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Bronze Member

I use the plain jane RCBS dies with the FL die. I do not have a neck die yet, soon, very soon. I use a Lyman all American turret press that my father in law gave to me years ago. My headspace is set at .001".

The brass that I am working with right now is second fired, so after the shot it is third fired. This next thing is debatable, however it is what I do, and seems to be working. I weigh all of my brass, and separate it all to the grain, I do not always do h2o water capacity tests, but sometimes I will do a few just to get an all around average. This is all done after they are resized, and trimmed, which I do every time. I never trim to min trim length it is usually closer to max, but all must be the same. (example if min length is 2.40 and max is 2.50, I try and get them all to 2.45) It didn't sound right the way I wrote it.

I weigh and seperate all of my bullets.

I use a charge master 1500 to dispense my powder, and then I check it on my RCBS 505 scale everytime. If the 505 doesn't register exactly zero I throw the powder back into the charge master, and do not dump into the case until it is exact.

I'm sure that all of the things I am stating are common practice for most

My Chrony readings yesterday where in order: 3087, 3089, 3089, 3087, 3089, 3100. The temp was at 60 deg. F ( I don't know if the temp has anything to do with that consistency, I added that fact because I do use US869) This almost amazed me more than even hitting the target yesterday. I had this happen one other time with this powder in the past where shooting a 168gr VLD I hit 3208 4 times out of 5.

What I am wondering is if that 3100 shot is the one that is high and right of the bullseye? I wish I could see them hitting, because that would be interesting stuff.

Bullet seating is done very slowly, right when I start feeling the slightest pressure, I back off a bit, then I run it back up slowly until bullet is seated. I think it may help with the concentricity.

That is what I have been doing so far. I am probably just getting very lucky. I am going for a longer shot tomorrow. I will post results, good or bad.