Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First time to the board

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Re: First time to the board

Crockett
I have a 260 In the 700 remington laminated stock just what you mention with a 4.5x 14x40 leupold and for all we do here it is a fine of a rifle as a man could ask for but, there again I have not kill any moose either. It is real bad on deer with those little 120 gr noslers I don't reload for this rifle. I just use the remington premier bullets and the little cannon has never failed to put a good walopp on the deer that I have killed. Very fine weapon in my book.

Remington and leupold man
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2003, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

Oh yea and welcome to club. You will like it here.
Old 05-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Silver Member

with shooting up to 300 and maybe a tad over, other than the moose, anything under the big 300's is more than fine. i think a 243 is a perfect starting centerfire, have a 270 myself and say its one of the best all around cases for the availability and money, with the 308 being right there with it. also, the 7mm has a very nice selection of heads to choose from. when it comes to dirtpigs/coyote/deer, its more a personal choice than anything, as all calibers from 6mm to the 30-06 will do everything requested with accurate shot placement.

as for optics- as stated before- thats a touchy subject around here. i'm just like sod though- remington & leupold.

-brian
Old 05-23-2003, 08:28 AM
Silver Member

by the way, if the 308 sounds good to you, check around a bit before you buy anything. i've seen a lot of different-and very nice-308's for sale on different boards/forums lately. seems there's a good many guys wanting to move into the bigger mags for longer ranges (1k+) and are getting rid of their current 308s for the funding. based on what you said you were going to be using it for, the 308 will be more than adequate, and i'm sure you could pick up a good rig already set up for a decent price. probably wouldnt take much taking to who you're getting it from to get the recipes they've been using for it already as well. just a thought....

-brian
Old 05-23-2003, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

CrockettNJ
Welcome aboard.
Old 05-24-2003, 06:35 AM
*WyoWhisper*

Welcome to LRH....

Boyd got it right in the first post. The only other option might be the 300WSM hogs and Moose can be nasty at times... a little more horse power won't hurt. Ifyou are going to reload you can "tame down" the WSM for plinking and stuff...
Old 05-24-2003, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

I went with a model 7 243win for my 12yr old daughter last summer, the 260 or the 300wsm was a serious consideration but, the extra couple hundred for the muzzle brake for her wasn't affordable at the moment, hense the 243win.

I'd go with the 260 in a heartbeat if moose is in the works, the 300wsm... same price and would even be a better choice for all the listed game IMHO. If you ever get the chance to get out to 500yds or farther the 300wsm would be ready to take game there too. You hang around here long enough and you'll get the itch to find a spot and stretch your abilities... beware. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]