Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

first time at 700yards

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 51
first time at 700yards

i finally decided i wanted to shoot at a target father than 100yards today so i set up my new steel target. i got in the prone position and dialed 15moa and held 1mil with the reticle and dialed 5moa for the wind. my phone app said only 14 moa but the shot went low. i believe it was because my scope does not track correctly. so after 3 shots i got it dailed in and hit the steel twice in a 3" group with my factory winchester 70 and factory winchester ammo. this was my first time shooting past 100 yards with this gun and it has impressed me so much i plan to try and move out farther with it and see how it does.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Helena,Mt.
Posts: 257
Re: first time at 700yards

Fun, isn't it? You will have to find out whether your scope really is tracking correctly or not. Get a very accurate zero at 100, and start cranking on the dial. Measure how much elevation you get with the marks on the dial. That will let you know what it is doing.
Then, get groups at each hundred yard distance. Figure out how much elevation you need for each yardage. Then you will be able to make a drop chart for your rifle and load. No more guessing. If you use a program like JBM (online), you will probable need to tweak the speed and bc to get the numbers to match your real world data. You can then print out a drop chart and you are good to go.
Let us know how it goes.
__________________
I think, therefore I am, conservative.

Kids are great, beer is good, and people are stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 51
Re: first time at 700yards

i will have to do that! the scope is a cheap Lowen 10-40x56 scope that I bought with the rifle so i doubt it tracks right.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:06 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,782
Re: first time at 700yards

Big mistake, killerspoons, now you're addicted and it gets pretty expensive!

Good luck to you!
__________________
-----------------------------

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,056
Re: first time at 700yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerspoons View Post
i finally decided i wanted to shoot at a target father than 100yards today so i set up my new steel target. i got in the prone position and dialed 15moa and held 1mil with the reticle and dialed 5moa for the wind. my phone app said only 14 moa but the shot went low. i believe it was because my scope does not track correctly. so after 3 shots i got it dailed in and hit the steel twice in a 3" group with my factory winchester 70 and factory winchester ammo. this was my first time shooting past 100 yards with this gun and it has impressed me so much i plan to try and move out farther with it and see how it does.
Outstanding.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Nevada
Posts: 2,782
Re: first time at 700yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Outstanding.
+1
__________________
-----------------------------

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 242
Re: first time at 700yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglet View Post
Big mistake, killerspoons, now you're addicted and it gets pretty expensive!

Good luck to you!

I second that!
__________________
J



AR's for coyotes
25-06 M70 for coyotes
6.5-06 Remington Custom w/Leupold Mark IV 6.5-20 tactical setup
AR10 for mule deer
6.5-06 M700 for mule deer
338 Lapua Mag M700 for elk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: first time at 700yards
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Long time lurker, first time poster... winnie9 Member Introductions 0 05-05-2012 10:40 PM
long time listener, first time poster from Washington PDA Member Introductions 2 05-19-2009 08:08 PM
Long time reader, first time poster jmp3006 Member Introductions 2 03-09-2009 02:54 PM
ong time listener first time caller dadof3bartas Member Introductions 2 12-31-2007 02:03 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC