Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First long range gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

Re: First long range gun

Wow $1000 to work up a load. Just think of all the reloading components, bullets, brass etc. that you can buy for that. And better yet think of the trigger time. Trigger time will go a long ways towards getting to the point where you can hit what you are looking at when it comes to long range. Having a gun and load that can do it means nothing if you don't know the gun.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Bronze Member

You will learn so much by doing it yourself and you will be happier in the long run. IMO

However, I can imagine you would be excited to be shooting it right away, so if you decide to part with a $1000. to get you going, I would make it a point to be around when the guy is working up your loads, and pay attention, as previously stated.

Good luck
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Building the loads and making drop charts with you behind the gun will give you your true POI do to you holding and shooting it the way you would hold rifle. having some one else do the shooting and sighting it in could throw all the information built up out the window. There are not to many Peaple out there that can shoot the same zero. reloading is fun and relaxing imo
Old 02-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Gold Member

Not only is there a wealth of knowledge here on LRH, there are some really good books on bench rest quality reloading, which is what you want for long range accuracy. One author that comes to mind is bench rest hall of famer Tony Boyer.
Who's building your rifle? A good smith should be able to help you quite a bit.
You asked for hands on help, but where are you, what state?
If you're going to spend 1K on load development, and you are-one way or another, spend it on tools and learning how to use them.
It's kinda like the biblical thing about giving a man a fish or teaching him to fish. You want to learn to fish.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 AM

Thanks for all the help and advice. I've been looking threw tons of load data and what not its just a lot to try and take in all at once. I'm in utah county ut is there a place or a some one that has a chronograph or are they worth just buying one. I've had lots of luck with the 160 grain nosler accubond. So I wanted to try that and also try the 168 grain Berger I've seen people really like the H1000 powder so I was gonna try that. Any other advice would help. Thanks again
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

I would just buy a chronograph... For just over $100, you can find a bunch of them. $100 sure beats $1,000 for someone to tell you what speed they are moving!
Old 02-09-2013, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member

Chronographs are definitely helpful, but you can base your speed off the reloading manual. Look into the LEE reloading manual. It has some really good instruction and information in the front chapters. It would be a good starting spot. Get yourself a digital caliper from midway or a local store. Seat the bullets to the suggested depth and go from there. Never exceed load maximum as written in the manual. I know that I have gotten away with it, and many other guys have as well, but it is done with extreme care and caution when building up loads. Its best as a new loader to stay within the parameters of the manuals minimums and max loads for the given powder charge and bullet. Hodgdon powder is the most popular and readily used for hunting calibers due to its ability to stay consistent through temp changes. For the 7mmRM, I would suggest the 168 Berger, 160 Nosler Accubond, or the Hornady 162 Amax. All good bullets for the specified caliber and long range hunting. I would also suggest Hodgdon H1000 powder, or Alliant Reloader 22 for these weight bullets.

To do a barrel break in, just google it. There are a ton of different ways to do it, and just pick one and go for it. For break in you can use loads that you want to use for hunting, or just pick a random lighter load so you are not using up your powder.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!