Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First long range gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 12:39 AM

First long range gun

I'm getting my first long range specific gun in the next few weeks. It's still being built. It's a 7mm rem 700 action Brux barrel manners stock and a few other bells and whistles.
But my question is when I get the gun there is a guy here local that said he'd break it in work up a load and figure out all the drop chart stuff for me and have it ready to shoot but he charges around 1000$ bucks to do all that. It also comes with 100 loaded rounds.
I have bought a reloader and all the stuff needed to reload 7mm should I try and figure it out by my self and put the money saved towards a G7 BR2 range finder.
Maybe someone on here would want to help with the load work? I'm new so if any of this is not a good way to go let me know or maybe tell me the way I should go about it
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: First long range gun

Im no expert but id try and work up the loads your self. I have been loading for about 6 years and was lucky enough to be taught at school. Ive learnt sooo much over the last five years and have improved my shooting so much.
Try and find some one in your area willing to teach you? or go and see the guy who is making the loads up for you and see what he does and give a hand maybe?($1000 seems pretty costly). It is time consuming to start from scratch but
you learn so much.
Plus if you work up your own loads you can change them depending on range/game ect...
Theres tonns of videos and books out there that have all the info youl need.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Platinum Member

Don't waste your money, do it your self. That's half the fun.
It's not hard, and there is plenty of load data out there for 7 RM.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

This is really dependent on the individual but my viewpoint is that it is the load that defines the long range hunting rifle. It appears you have gone through the thought and expense to have a custom built so you appear quite motivated. Learning and understanding the load devopment process will give you full mastery of the sport. While it may seem complex and intimidating, it's not that difficult if you are willing to learn. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of information available and many people, particularly on this site, that are more than willing to share information. IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Another for DIY,
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe King View Post
Another for DIY,
Same here. If you are going to want to reload for it down the road anyway, you might as well learn now. You can do a search on 7mm loads on this website and many others and you will get a ton of results and starting points.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

If you need help there's no shortage of knowledge here to help you on your way.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe