Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Long Range Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 06:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: First Long Range Build

Just now ordered a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 from the LRH store. They had one in stock and I couldn't resist.

I like the 162 A-max also. Have one full box left and I don't want to use them till I know I can get some more. I am having great results with 168 grain Berger VLD's in my 7 mag.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

There was an article on accurate shooter a week or so ago. The 162 A-max will go back into production soon. I'm ready too, it's the only bullet I shoot in my long range gun.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishatley View Post
There was an article on accurate shooter a week or so ago. The 162 A-max will go back into production soon. I'm ready too, it's the only bullet I shoot in my long range gun.
Thats good to hear. I'm going to keep shooting these SSTs for the time being...but I will pick up some AMAX's as that was what I wanted to shoot to begin with.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Just a little update...

So far, I've been happy with the SSTs, but in this game, it appears its all about trying different things to see what works the best. I wanted AMAXs, but that wasn't happening, so I was able to pick up 2 boxes of Nosler Accubond LR in 150gr. A little lighter than the SSTs with a much higher BC. I'm looking forward to working up a load and seeing how they shoot.

Rifle Basixs SAV-1 should be here any day as well!
Old 05-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

That thing is sweet wish I had that good of luck with my builds.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:45 PM

Ok, so I finally had a chance to chrono my handloads.

Here are the specs.

Rem 9.5 primer
Nosler Brass
Hornady SST 154
46.5 gr RL 17
2.815 COAL
26" 1:9 barrel

No pressure signs shooting this load.

I chrono'd 3 shots today - cloudy day, no direct sunlight.
3020 FPS
3059 FPS
3080 FPS

IMO, these look alot higher than they should be. I have heard of guys squeezing 2850-2900 out of 162 AMAXs, but again that seems like a reach.

The chrono is brand new, so I don't think that is the issue.

Does anyone else think these are extreme velocity? Everyone says RL 17 is the magic powder for the 7-08, but this just seems wayyy to good to be true.
Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Silver Member

On the issue of velocity, each barrel is unique, and you are shooting a longer one for the caliber. The "test" barrel used by the company that published your data could have been 24 inches for a 7-08. I had a 270 Winchester that shot faster than the manual said it should, but no pressure signs whatsoever. The numbers from your chrony are also something that can be off by a few percent (when we consider what we are trying to measure and how we are trying to measure it, it is amazing that chronys can give us meaningful numbers at all), and you'll want to do trajectory validation by shooting at multiple distances. Chronographs can tell little white lies, but impacts ARE TRUTH. My own chrony shows velocities just a bit over actual, but that is just one step in the long range process.