Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Long Range Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 PM

First Long Range Build

Looking to get back into the sport of LR hunting. When I was younger, my fathers friend gave me the opportunity to take whitetail at long range with his 6mm bench gun. Since he passed (6 yrs ago), I have strayed from LR, and rifle hunting in general. I'm an avid bowhunter, and after taking quite a few deer with the bow, I do not find the enjoyment of taking a deer with a sporter rifle - just not much of challenge to me, which is why I've decided to build a LR gun.

Specs will be as follows:

Stevens 200 Action - picked up a NIB .243 for 285. I will chamber this rifle in 7mm-08 shooting 162 gr amax.
Shilen 26" barrel - 1:9 twist
Aftermarket trigger of some sort (haven't decided yet)
Thumbhole stock.
Undecided on optics as of now.

I'm excited to get back into the sport and look forward to learning from everyone on here as I progress through my build.

Thanks for all the help you have all provided already.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First Long Range Build

Sounds good so far. Trigger I would suggest the Rifle Basix. For glass, I would suggest a Vortex.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Silver Member

Everything looks good.

Optics: Take a look at Sightron SIII 8x32x50 or lower power.
Trigger: Rifle Basix is good.

You will also need good reloading equipment, range finder and wind reader, like Kestrel.

And of course, you have to think of a name of this rifle as your new girlfriend!
Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fear in Accuracy View Post
Everything looks good.

Optics: Take a look at Sightron SIII 8x32x50 or lower power.
Trigger: Rifle Basix is good.

You will also need good reloading equipment, range finder and wind reader, like Kestrel.

And of course, you have to think of a name of this rifle as your new girlfriend!
I will look into the Sightron. Been leaning towards Vortex, but will consider any quality opting.

My dad has a full RCBS setup, so no issues there.

Also liking the rifle basix trigger - price seems right as well as quality.

I'll be ordering my barrel Monday from the barrelman. Going with a 26" 1:9 twist Shilen.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:23 PM

Just wanted to post an update....and so far I couldn't be happier.

I've finally had a chance to shoot it, here are the final specs:

Stevens 200 Action
Shilen 26" barrel
Boyds VT Stock - Full Float, bedded action
Vortex HS-T 6-24x50
Stock Trigger set to 3.5lbs.

I'm still in the load development process, but right now 46.5grs of RL 17 and 154 Grain Hornady SST seems to shoot pretty well. Sub MOA - tonight had a 3 shot group stacked on top of each other right around 3/4" group.

Going to try 47gr, which is at max for the load according to my research.

A new trigger is definitely in the works, as I would rather be in the 2lb range than 3.5...but overall I am very happy with my first build.

Here are a few photos...

Old 05-02-2014, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

Congratulations. Nice lookin rifle and it's looks like you are going to get it dialed in. I would like to know how you like the 6-24 HS-T. I am a Vortex fan myself and have two 4-16 HS long range on my hunting rifles. Nearly bought the same scope you have but they suddenly didn't have any in stock. Good shootin!

How come we don't have a thumbs-up smilie available???
Old 05-02-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman56 View Post
Congratulations. Nice lookin rifle and it's looks like you are going to get it dialed in. I would like to know how you like the 6-24 HS-T. I am a Vortex fan myself and have two 4-16 HS long range on my hunting rifles. Nearly bought the same scope you have but they suddenly didn't have any in stock. Good shootin!

How come we don't have a thumbs-up smilie available???
The 6-24 HS-T was a brand new release....I pre-ordered and got it fairly quickly. From what I gathered, the only main difference between the HS-T and the PS-T is the HS-T has a wire reticle while the PS-T is an etched reticle. So far I like it, but I haven't had a chance to shoot much at distance. It was under $600 shipped, so couldn't beat the price.

As far as the rifle, the SST's shoot really well. I really wanted to shoot 162AMAXs, but they aren't available anywhere and they don't appear to be on the production list for 2014....so I went with the readily available SST's and so far I can't complain!