Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First kill with one of Kirby's finest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 05:39 PM

First kill with one of Kirby\'s finest

Hey all, been a lurker around here for a while, decided I've got a little something to contribute finally...

I bought a used gun built by Kirby off this forum over the summer in 300 RUM. Load workup this fall was a joy and a breeze... worst groups were 3/4 to 1 inch, but by playing with the seating depth on 200 AB's I finally settled on Re25 as the powder as I ended up getting a .18 inch group at 100 yards with the 200 AB going 3300 fps.

Went back to Tennessee for the deer season opener with hopes of besting my farthest kill of 420 yards. The Monday after the opener, my cousin saw a nice 8 ptr chasing a doe at 500 yards, but he wouldn't stay still long enough to get off a good shot. He couldn't hunt that afternoon, so I set up about 400 yards from the thicket he came out of, and sure enough, he came back out 30 minutes before dark with a doe. Ranged 355 yards, came up a few clicks on the scope and absolutely poleaxed him at a 3/4 angle towards me. Bullet just behind the near shoulder, exited out the opposite ham. No tracking job needed [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Scored right around 120, 16" inside spread, 10" g2, but no mass. 3 1/2 yrs old.

Not nearly as far as I would have really wanted, but an exciting hunt nevertheless.

A couple of days later, my cousin and I set up in a valley facing a hill 700 yards away. His turn to shoot, no wind and I was the spotter and backup. Doe came out to feed at 666 yards. His first shot was a little low, but perfect windage. Came up a few more clicks and drilled her in the heart with the next shot. She walked around 50 yards and dropped. Time for high 5's! (His gun is a 7mm- 300 Winchester- Weatherby improved)

Thanks again for the wonderful forum, and thanks Kirby for your quality work!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First kill with one of Kirby\'s finest

That is a fine deer with an interesting rack.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Good shooting! That rack does have a lot of character; congratulations.
Dvae
Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

nice buck, what is a 7mm- 300 Winchester- Weatherby improved
Old 12-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
in 300 RUM. Load workup this fall was a joy and a breeze... worst groups were 3/4 to 1 inch, but by playing with the seating depth on 200 AB's I finally settled on Re25 as the powder as I ended up getting a .18 inch group at 100 yards with the 200 AB going 3300 fps.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is the barrel? From a 26' I can muster 3150 or so safely.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:27 PM

screech... a 7mm- 300 Win Weatherby improved is a 300 winchester case necked down to 7mm with the Weatherby radius shoulder on it. Basically it was the biggest case he could fit in his browning action after the shot out the throat as an original 7 mag. He had to hog out the magazine box as well. Honestly, I think he did it more just to have a round very few other people would have. He's about tired of all the work it takes to prep and fireform cases.

Pop... My gun has a 28" barrel. I'm actually getting 3280 fps with the 200 AB's, just rounded up to 3300 in the post. I've never had a 300 RUM before, using 91.5 gr Re 25, doesn't that sound about right? No pressure signs that I can see, and I didn't go with any more powder as I already had 3 groups under a half- inch and since the gun is used, I'm trying to save barrel and throat life.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Silver Member

Nice buck and nice velocity with the 200ab. A word of advice...don't know what the temp was when you worked up that load, but when the temps get up in the 90's+ you are going to see the pressure sky rocket with rl22. I know it shoots good but it is very very temp sinsitive in the 300rum down south where we are. I would hurt to see you hurt if things let go. That's a pile of powder in your face. I have real good luck with H-1000 in mine and temp does not bother it near as bad.

LITTLE BILLY ON ...GETTING OLDER

Little BILLY was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another.
After the 6th one, a man on the bench across from him said, "Son, you know eating all that candy isn't good for you. It will give you acne, rot your teeth, and make you fat." Little BILLY replied, "My grandfather lived to be 107 years old."Oh?" replied the man." Did your grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time? "No" replied Little Billy, "he minded his own f------g business!!"