Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #43  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,900
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
There would be a quintessential difference in how we use an optic. My follow up shots come with a very precise correction, measured by the reticle, which I can perform on any magnification.

I too "self spot" and send the follower without the need of a spotter.

The difference is that my correction is measured and can be replicated as many times as necessary via my unit of choice: Mils. It would work the same with an MOA reticle however.
Why do you need a number or unit of measure. If you can remember the unit of measure and number you can remember the visual distance you need to correct and you can place as many as you want there. Many times it will fall between hash marks it does not matter if it is mils or moa all you need to do is follow over to the correction point for the correction hold. We can put a number on it later with a tape measure while we are gutting it.

Jeff

edit: I will also add it does not matter what power I am on either. That is a Myth put forth by FFP supporters. I don't need a number for a correction for a follow up unless I am don't see the hit and I need a spotter call. Then I need to be on full power and follow cue. But I see the hits more times that not by far and I will 99% of the time be on full power.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huron, SD
Posts: 306
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Situation:

You fire at a 500yd target, and find your wind hold to be off.

You are about to fire at a 600yd target.

How do you determine your precise correction for the 600yd target based on your correction from the 500yd target if you have no precise number for the correction?

I can use previous wind calls, to determine my future wind calls... because they have a definite number value.

You say it doesn't matter what power you are on... and for your method... it doesn't. However, if I were to ask you for a precise correction given in minutes, based on a shot impact while you are on 17x magnification... what would you have to do to give it to me?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: SW Montana
Posts: 4,495
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
The difference is, I can collect the data from my hits/misses as it correlates to the reticle, and learn from that data. You can only do this on max magnification.

Yes, you can read the reticle and apply a hold, but that data is only useful on the power your reticle subtends correctly.

Earlier, you said your new POA is the first shot's POI. What you are saying now makes more sense. ;)
Ya my words come out about like my numbers, scrambled

I'm not worried when I'm hunting about data collecting till the animal is down, then I can go back and collect data on the shot, I've gone back to the original shot and shoot a rock or something at the same point the animal was standing just to figure out what went on.

If I need to back of for some reason I simply back of the the spot marked on my optic that says 2x and then it's doubled, which I do often if I'm using my BDC reticle optic to change the value of the hold to be more accurate to what I need. I find it very handy to have an optic that the reticle changes in, sometime I run out of windage on the reticle and need to dial it back to gain more MOA on the hold.
__________________
High Fence, Low Fence, Stuck in the Fence, if I can Tag it and Eat it, it's Hunting!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,900
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
Situation:

You fire at a 500yd target, and find your wind hold to be off.

You are about to fire at a 600yd target.

How do you determine your precise correction for the 600yd target based on your correction from the 500yd target if you have no precise number for the correction?

I can use previous wind calls, to determine my future wind calls... because they have a definite number value.

You say it doesn't matter what power you are on... and for your method... it doesn't. However, if I were to ask you for a precise correction given in minutes, based on a shot impact while you are on 17x magnification... what would you have to do to give it to me?
If I was spotting for you I would not be on 17X I would be on 22X and my reticle would be correct to give you a correction in moa.

As far as correction form 500 to 600 yards I stated earlier I do not do sniper competitions if that is what you scenario is from. I am a firm believer in the slow hit is better than a fast miss. If I am changing targets, I would change the distance in the app and redial, if off on the wind from an earlier shot I would change that input as well.

It is becoming clear to me that there is a big difference in our ways. Your "situations" are not ones I often encounter in the field while hunting. You felt earlier that the fact I have only purchased one upper end FFP scope and viewed others in the field that I was not well enough versed to have an educated opinion of a FFP. I am starting to feel the same way about your actual experience in long range hunting. So if I am sub par by only owning one high end FFP should I judge you by asking how many big game tags you fill a year? Or how many times per season you set up another hunter for his shot? Is that not as important as how many FFP's you own. How about 20 one shot kills from the same rifle and SFP scope in the same season? My knives get washed almost daily during season.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 176
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
My knives get washed almost daily during season.

Jeff


Thanks. That was perfect. I always appreciate a good laugh on a Monday.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Huron, SD
Posts: 306
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
It is becoming clear to me that there is a big difference in our ways.
Quite clear indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Smalltown, Virginia
Posts: 398
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
Quite clear indeed.

Glad we got that out of the way.. sorry I brought it up!
__________________
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC