Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I connect and I'm of I simple change my hold to the possition the bullet landed and us that as my aim point and pull the trigger, I don't have time to think about how far of I was just gotta fix it so for that I don't really care what the reticle substitutions are.
If the animal moves between when you saw the bullet impact, and when you are set to fire the next shot, how do you know where to hold?

If you fire at where the bullet impacted, provided you can see it, your shot will likely fall an equal distance away from your new POA as the first shot did from your original POA.

Using your reticle to take a snapshot of the correction and applying that correction precisely is a much easier method than the SWAG method. Each take the same amount of time.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
If the animal moves between when you saw the bullet impact, and when you are set to fire the next shot, how do you know where to hold?
That's easy. You know your point of aim for the first shot. You usually see the impact or know where the bullet went. You simply hold the distances needed for correction. Very seldom do you need to measure anything with a reticle. You have the visual image right there. It does not matter if they take a few steps or move. The picture is the same. I practice follow ups and self spotting a lot. I can have a second shot on the way before a spotter can give me a correction call. Just second nature with practice. No pun intended. If you didn't see where the shot went it does not matter what scope you have FFP or SFP.

Jeff
Old 03-04-2013, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

I wish I knew more about scope manufacturing to know if my idea is even possible.

Wouldn't it be cool IF: You could have a reticle in both focal planes? This would open up a whole lot of options. One idea would be to have only vertical and horizontal hash marks in the 1st plane. Then have the crosshair in the 2nd plane. That way ranging would be accurate at all powers, and the crosshair would "appear" to be bigger on lower magnifications. As long as the hash marks were taller/wider than the reticle on low power it should work. At max power the hash marks could be a little annoying because they would appear to be really tall/wide.

For me this would be the end all, of a perfect scope theory for almost all disciplines (Hunting, Long range precision, Tactical competitions, and Military).

If someone who knows more about the manufacturing process could chime in and let us know if this would even be possible, that would be great!

For the purpose of the discussion I will call this imaginary scope the "Dual" focal plane.

Joel
Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post

If you fire at where the bullet impacted, provided you can see it, your shot will likely fall an equal distance away from your new POA as the first shot did from your original POA.

Using your reticle to take a snapshot of the correction and applying that correction precisely is a much easier method than the SWAG method. Each take the same amount of time.
If I'm of the animal I don't shoot a second time, I screwed the pooch somewhere so I have to figure it out before I fire again but if I say hit the animal back just a bit and I want to put another one in it I simply use my same hold as for the first shot, mentally mark the spot the bullet hit on the reticle then move over and use that spot as my hold and shoot for the same spot on the animal, very fast and has put me dead on over measuring then thinking and moving over a specific distance then trying another. There's no SWAG to it at all, very precise!!!!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
You simply hold the distances needed for correction. Very seldom do you need to measure anything with a reticle.
There would be a quintessential difference in how we use an optic. My follow up shots come with a very precise correction, measured by the reticle, which I can perform on any magnification.

I too "self spot" and send the follower without the need of a spotter.

The difference is that my correction is measured and can be replicated as many times as necessary, at any magnification I choose, via my unit of choice.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
If I'm of the animal I don't shoot a second time, I screwed the pooch somewhere so I have to figure it out before I fire again but if I say hit the animal back just a bit and I want to put another one in it I simply use my same hold as for the first shot, mentally mark the spot the bullet hit on the reticle then move over and use that spot as my hold and shoot for the same spot on the animal, very fast and has put me dead on over measuring then thinking and moving over a specific distance then trying another. There's no SWAG to it at all, very precise!!!!
The difference is, I can collect the data from my hits/misses as it correlates to the reticle, and learn from that data. You can only do this on max magnification.

Yes, you can read the reticle and apply a hold, but that data is only useful on the power your reticle subtends correctly.

Earlier, you said your new POA is the first shot's POI. What you are saying now makes more sense. ;)
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Silver Member

Joel,

What you are referring to is DFP (dual focal plane) scopes, and they out there, with more in development.