Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

thanks for the reply and pics in #277 Orkan. Food for thought.....
John R
Old 03-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Gold Member

this has been an interesting thread to read...lots to think about, since the scope I am looking fot the next build I'm planning is FFP
Old 03-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post

So if you shoot at 5x with the MOAR reticle the first tic for windage is already over 8MOA. So if you need 2MOA you can divide the "space" between the center and the first tic mark with the needed precision, instead of simply increasing magnification ? This at distances of 400-600 yards ? I personally don't know too many people who would choose to shoot with a scope on Min magnification at those ranges. Nor would I be capable of the kind of interpolation you are suggesting. At 8x on my 4-16 one can recognize the tic marks just fine and for 400 yards I would be on 16x. Field of view of the NXS at 100yds on 5x is 17.5ft thus at 400 it is 70ft. You are going to shoot at an object with a vertical dimension of 14-20" with the scope set to a field of view of 70-105ft ? By choice ? And that makes FFP scopes unsuitable ?
What do you think we used before variable scopes, I don't have any issue toasting something on 4x IF my reticle comes to the show, if I'm walking my scope is on min or if I'm sitting calling it on min and if I pull up and I have my cross hair why screw with it when I should be shooting.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Gold Member

So you just plain reject technology ? Clearly a Weaver 4x or 6x is a heck of a lot cheaper than a good FFP scope. You would deliberately choose not to dial up the magnification when it is at your disposal.

Sorry, if I have it I am using it. If you won't use it when you have it, it follows pretty well why you would not pay for anything additional.

The benefit of the FFP is that my graduations are on over a wide range of magnifications, but I will not claim that one can read them on Min magnification. Few hunters I have spoken to would choose to engage a target at 400-600 yards without increasing magnification when it is available. However, I am not forced to use a specific magnification or apply a scale to the reticle. Provided I can see it, I can use it. If I can't see the reticle and the target is not right in front of me, I am dialing up the magnification. It takes less time to do that than trying to hit on the second shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
What do you think we used before variable scopes, I don't have any issue toasting something on 4x IF my reticle comes to the show, if I'm walking my scope is on min or if I'm sitting calling it on min and if I pull up and I have my cross hair why screw with it when I should be shooting.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

I had my first look at the 6-24x50 Viper FFP tonight. It looks like at 24x the field of view is 50MOA or just a hair over. I was surprised that at 6x the reticle is far more legible than at 4x on my 4-16 (min magnification for both). At 24x one can no longer see the broad outer lines of the reticle, the central portion fills the field of view.

If I ever get my Remington back from Mc Gowan, I will be able to provide a more detailed report...
Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I had my first look at the 6-24x50 Viper FFP tonight. It looks like at 24x the field of view is 50MOA or just a hair over. I was surprised that at 6x the reticle is far more legible than at 4x on my 4-16 (min magnification for both). At 24x one can no longer see the broad outer lines of the reticle, the central portion fills the field of view.

If I ever get my Remington back from Mc Gowan, I will be able to provide a more detailed report...
Good to know. I currently have a SFP PST, got it because I'm used to SFP but am interested in the FFP Viper too.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

Hi Y'all heres something that covers most of what we have gone through here

it covers the use's and FFP along with SFP

john