Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

I think you got that backwards. For a long shot you increase magnification. If there is some part of the reticle you can't see, why does it worry you ? Are you expecting to hold 30+ minutes of wind using the reticle, with the point of aim at the very edge of the image ? That doesn't sound like what most of us would do ? a 2 min correction for a shift in the wind speed, yes.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

No, I said what I meant, you totally missed my point on ffp scopes.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

I don't think I missed anything. I own one and I use it and your "problems" are imaginary. Why is every critic of the FFP a non owner ? Lots of idle speculation going on in this thread. Personal choices, I understand. If you absolutely don't want 2" of the target blocked by the reticle at 1000 yards, then I understand. Just accept that the reticle is forever equally skinny and I would suspect hard to see with a SFP scope at ANY magnification. That sounds like something I would NOT like.

With a SFP, the view of the reticle is always the same, regardless of scope magnification. With a FFP one magnifies the reticle in proportion to the target. If you adjust the magnification to give you a comfortable field of view based on distance, size of the animal, speed it is moving at and situational awareness (like presence of livestock), why then would it matter what portion of the reticle you can or can't see ?

If the animal is so close that you are at minimum magnification and the holdovers on the reticle are too small to see, you could probably hit the animal by sighting down the barrel (thats what shotgun hunters do) yet the fact that I cant read a 2MOA tic mark on the reticle is somehow going to prevent me from making a hit at 6x magnification with a 1 degree "opening" between the broad lines of the reticle ? Unless I am mistaken, there are a lot of people who shoot to 100 yards and beyond using 2-4MOA red dot scopes where the dot fully obscures whatever is behind it. "Edit, OK, I got this wrong. Some of the well known brands have a 65MOA "ring" with a dot in the center."

Come on men. Is that the best you got ? I can't make the shot because 2" of my target is covered at 1000 yards ? I can't make a shot at 40 yards at 6x because I can't see the tics on my reticle within a 60MOA region ? Holey smokes...
Old 03-19-2013, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Well guess this is where SFP's are better in the respect that you can see the whole Reticle no matter what the magnification, So what this tells us is that we need both FFP and SFP scopes in our Kit and that there is no do it all scope so its a good thing that Vortex are alot cheaper than the others because we can have both and still save enough money to by another two compared to the other brands we have talked of,

john
Old 03-19-2013, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

John, referring to my earlier post with the 2 different images of the reticle at Min and Max magnification. Could you explain why either of those reticle views are unsuitable to use as an aiming point, because in my view that is the most basic purpose of a scope ? Is the Min magnification a problem if the animal fits in the field of view ? If it does not fit the field of view you just have to rotate the mag ring to zoom in and increasing magnification suggests it is further away and therefore additional precision is REQUIRED to get a good shot and balistic corrections are going to increasingly be applied.

By the time the range is getting long, and by that I mean 350 yards + for small critters, most of us would be at max magnification provided mirage allowed it. No-one can argue that the subtentions on the reticle are unintelligible under these conditions.

How about describing when you think it is going to be an issue ?
Old 03-19-2013, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

I think rather than start this whole thread over maybe we should all just re-read it again. Most all of this has been covered at least once.

Wesycliffe01, as for this blanket statement please read my first post in this thread on page 2.

"Why is every critic of the FFP a non owner ?"

Thank you.

Jeff
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

Broz, you don't seem to be coming up with imaginary issues with the FFP scope. I think you have clearly laid out your workflow and concluded you don't need it and that it is an issue for you finding FFP's with slim enough reticles.

You are right, blanket statements never work. I am having a hard time understanding the issues some are raising at Min magnification. If I need to dial that far back all I need to do is point and shoot. I would never be shooting at 6x at 100 yards unless I am using my muzzle loader which happens to have a 6x fixed magnification scope on it. 8-10 is pretty comfortable for me at 100 yards and I have no need to apply any ballistic corrections at that range, but I might have to lead a little for movement.