Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:04 PM
Gold Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

I think that frankly Broz is in a little different class to the majority of us. If you are taking shots with a time of flight that is measured in seconds vs milliseconds than I can see that the benefits of a FFP count for naught. Provided that the reticle is not so thick that it obscures the target, those of us working our way out to longer distances and frequently engaged in shorter range fast shooting like the constant reticle subtentions. The vast majority of shooters have never used a FFP scope or even looked through one. Every time I go to the local DNR range I have requests to look through the scope.

There is no need for everyone to agree, if that were to be the case, communism would be perfect... But many people do not understand the difference between the one system and the other at all, and hopefully some light gets shed on that.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Why would you care? Or is this just another childish remark and you looking to argue more? Sorry if that sounds rude but you reap what you sew.

Jeff
I'm used to it. It's OK for you to be rude here... but not for me, so I don't bother. Take my comments however the hell you wish. Makes no difference to me.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
I havn't said much on this thread, other than I prefer sfp. But man you just won't let it rest, your just too full of yourself, and since you are a sponser I will say this because of this thread, I wouldn't buy chit from you.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I think that frankly Broz is in a little different class to the majority of us. If you are taking shots with a time of flight that is measured in seconds vs milliseconds than I can see that the benefits of a FFP count for naught. Provided that the reticle is not so thick that it obscures the target, those of us working our way out to longer distances and frequently engaged in shorter range fast shooting like the constant reticle subtentions.
You might be surprised at how many there are shooting regularly past 1000 these days. A few years back I was in one of Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge advanced classes with 3 other shooters from a few different states. We all went past 1000 yards like a rabbit with his azz on fire. There were first round cold bore hits at 1500 plus yards as well as a 2nd round hit on a rock dubbed "the chicklet" at 1705 yards. It was the size of a cantalope. And these were students looking to improve their knowledge and skill sets. The longest shots were when Shawn and I send some of the first 300 gr Bergers to something like 2300 yards. So yeah, flight times in the 3 plus second area were a reality. I have watched and learned on this forum as distances have gone from a 700 yard shot being a very long poke to seeing many take game out to 1000 in a relatively short period of time.

One also needs to consider the area you hunt shoot and live. Shooting to well past 1000 for me is as easy as sliding open the patio door in our master bed room. Two of the coyotes I have taken past 1000 were done prone from the bedroom floor. I am not doing anything that anyone else could not do. I am just fortunate enough to live where it comes easy.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Pic you method, and practice it enough that it becomes second nature. If you find a flaw that is staring you in the face, be wise enough to change it and keep shooting as often as you can.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Broz, when I go to the local 100 yard DNR range, it shows otherwise, unless the real shooters simply avoid the place... Its free too and you have to go a long way to find a similar range in these parts. Public land is primarily flat and wooded. 50 yards is a long way in most of that. Anyway, about 95% of the people at the DNR range can barely keep their group on a paper plate. Some use 16x16" targets and then need all of it...

Perhaps we have a lack of mentors here in the east...

I would like to come to your shoot, but it looks like April is too soon and road conditions could be unpredictable. What are typical conditions like in June ? Whats the elevation and humidity level ?
Old 03-18-2013, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Broz, I would like to come to your shoot, but it looks like April is too soon and road conditions could be unpredictable. What are typical conditions like in June ? Whats the elevation and humidity level ?
June would be pretty nice weather. Temps will be ranging from 60's to mid 70's and cool at night. Humidity probably in the 20% area. Altitude around 4000'asl.

Would be great if you could come out. I think this is a pretty area and I simply love it here. Let me know if you are planning a trip and if you need any local info. Probably could point you to a few places to try your luck with the trout, if you like to fish.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I would like to come to your shoot, but it looks like April is too soon and road conditions could be unpredictable. What are typical conditions like in June ? Whats the elevation and humidity level ?
Not to dispute Broz, but June weather can be a bit volatile. It is the wettest month of the year in this area. Since moving here to Bozeman back in 2000 we've had 12" and 14" snowfalls in the middle June and numerous other June snowfalls. That said, the weather can be real nice too. Basically roll the dice. Townsend is a bit dryer than Bozeman so that's a good thing. Don't mean to scare you off, but if Aug fits your schedule you'ld have a lot better chance of good weather although a bit warm.

I'm planning to make a couple of Broz's shoots as well and hope to see you and a few others. Bring warm clothes.... anytime in Montana. Temps can drop 30* in 30 min.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Last edited by MontanaRifleman; 03-19-2013 at 01:10 AM.