Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
Yet you buy an ATACR with its thick reticle?
It is still thinner than many, but Yes, thicker than a NP-R1, and everyone here has heard me request a thinner one for it.

Here, see these old threads of mine:

How Could We Improve the NEW A.T.A.C.R. From Nightforce

Is The 5.5~22 Nightforce my only choice?

I have even called NF and asked for a thin reticle for the ATACR. Just so you know, the ATACR reticle is thinner than the one we were just talking about by .080"+ . I will either get along with it until a better reticle is offered or go back to the NXS and NP-R1. I opted to go for the 125 + moa of elevation and ED glass and had to give a little on the reticle.

Why would you care? Or is this just another childish remark and you looking to argue more? Sorry if that sounds rude but you reap what you sew.

Jeff
Old 03-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Gold Member

Few attempt what you have already done and it goes beyond the definition of Long range Hunting. Extra Long range for sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have shot more than a few coyotes past 1000 along with more than a couple antelope between 1000 and 1300. I like to split the vertical thickness of them in 1/2 and for this I feel thinner is better. Not to long ago I was on a sitting coyote at 1760 yards and ready to attempt my first mile yote.
Jeff
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Orkan and Broz have both made valid points in this thread. You might have to look for them between the jabs back and forth but they are there. Don't focus on the childish crap and you can find them. Page 34 of a thread that, without the childish crap, would well be under 10 pages.

Neither willing to give the other MUCH credit for the knowledge being passed on. Just pick at the part that they personally don't like or disagree with, or an inconsistent answer.

I have to give credit to both for not backind down from their personal beliefs though.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Few attempt what you have already done and it goes beyond the definition of Long range Hunting. Extra Long range for sure...
For some, yes I agree, and there are few that care to go that far. And I also will state that only a couple of the 19 big game kills we made last season with my rifle were past 1000. The average was probably 5 to 600 yards. But the technology is improving in every aspect. The 1000 yard one shot kill is very real with practice and good equipment in decent conditions. But even if we are just busting 1 moa rocks at a mile, I really enjoy it and have worked to be able to do it. That is why this site does indeed have an "ELR" forum. No disrespect meant, just offered what I do and prefer.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Gold Member

For the moment, the longest "range" I have access to is 450 max. I just got 2 nice pieces of plate to make reactive targets so that I can spend more time working at the longer ranges. I need to get a wind meter and when I read that Kestrel is going to release one with the applied ballistics software and library, I decided that was worth waiting for...

Next year I will probably make the move to CO and will have access to more shooting locations (if it is not banned)...
Old 03-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

I just installed a 6x24 viper pst ffp. This is my first FFP scope. I was shooting it Saturday. At 200 yards I was shooting a diamon that was 3/4" from corner to corner. the cross hair just covered it but I could still see it and had no trouble shooting at it. I ranged a tree with a crow in it at 1080 yards. The cross hair did not block him. A SFP has worked all these years but I like this FFP scope. It is going to work out for the range and things I shoot at.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
I havn't said much on this thread, other than I prefer sfp. But man you just won't let it rest, your just too full of yourself, and since you are a sponser I will say this because of this thread, I wouldn't buy chit from you.
Well said I clicked on this thread trying to decide if I wanted a FFP and now Im almost tempted to sell every scope I own and go back to open sights.

Note to moderators can we take out the bickering and arguing in this thread so we can reduce the post count from almost 40pages down to maybe 3 that are totally useful and cut the BULL so some people actually get some information out of this thread instead of mine is better/bigger than yours. I havent heard this kind of arguing since kindergarden.

Broz you make very valid points for the SFP which is kinda of why I don't see the reason to pay the extra money for the FFP, but Im sure somebody disagrees with me.