Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics


Reply

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #162  
Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: London
Posts: 180
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
Because its the SFP crowd claiming FFP can't get it done in certain situations... Not the other way around. They describe how they tried it once and didn't like it. Then they cite something completely opposite of my personal experience as a reason why it didn't work. Someone asks about FFP and they get instructed in all the ways that it won't work. Well that's where I try to instruct them in the ways that they DO work. At each turn, while providing evidence that it works, it's continually shut down.

As for my sponsorship here... It's pretty straight forward. If it pays off, I'll continue sponsoring. If it doesn't... I'll stop. Pretty simple. I could care less how many "groupies" braz has. One's number of followers has very little to do with this discussion. Like I really have a motivation to show up and shoot with someone that thinks I only speak because I have a financial motivation to do so. No thanks. I have better things to do with my time than hang around someone with that opinion of me. Those attacks being unchecked will certainly weigh in on my decision whether to remain a sponsor. If the cool-kids club is successful at making sure FFP always ends up on the bottom of every discussion, then it won't make much financial sense to be here will it? That doesn't mean I'm financially motivated... that just means there is no point in hanging around somewhere where what I'm selling is so strongly opposed. No one dare shoot FFP if they want to "fit in!"

I went into it knowing I'd be in the minority on this site. Doesn't mean the membership here doesn't deserve a glimpse to the other side. If it were as easy as "we're both correct" then I could easily settle with that. Yet that's not where it is. Due to the sheer number of SFP shooters on this forum vs FFP... it's always left with FFP being somehow inferior, and SFP being better. Well I won't leave that alone. Those whom come read this discussion, will at least know that there are people effectively and easily using FFP reticles to hunt.
I'm sorry man that you feel like this as I really wanted to learn something here and I really wanted to Buy an FFP scpoe so I had all bases coverd, maybe not one for 3500 but still I have done Alot of research on them and orderd one,

Hell I dont even know Braz, But I'm sorry but you're wrong and rude, In the begining just after you two had all but Ironed out the wrinkles here It was you who had to take the first shot at him, Why because so far all we have had is 16/17 pages of this (those are the pages I got up to when I found this last mess)

I feel sorry for the Guy who started this thread,

Sure hope we can have some decent imput here
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Smalltown, Virginia
Posts: 384
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildot1960 View Post

I feel sorry for the Guy who started this thread,

Sure hope we can have some decent imput here
Oh... Is this thread still here? hmmm I just went and googled my question after all... seemed more simple just to do it that way
__________________
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,279
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
As for my sponsorship here... It's pretty straight forward. If it pays off, I'll continue sponsoring. If it doesn't... I'll stop. Pretty simple. I could care less how many "groupies" braz has. One's number of followers has very little to do with this discussion. Like I really have a motivation to show up and shoot with someone that thinks I only speak because I have a financial motivation to do so. No thanks. I have better things to do with my time than hang around someone with that opinion of me. Those attacks being unchecked will certainly weigh in on my decision whether to remain a sponsor. If the cool-kids club is successful at making sure FFP always ends up on the bottom of every discussion, then it won't make much financial sense to be here will it? That doesn't mean I'm financially motivated... that just means there is no point in hanging around somewhere where what I'm selling is so strongly opposed. No one dare shoot FFP if they want to "fit in!"
1) I think I understand "sponsorship", and in no way does that discredit you in my opinion. I've used other sponsors here, and have yet to regret it.
2)I've never been accused of being a "groupie".
3)I've never sat at the cool kids table.
4)I scan threads to see what interest me with one eye, who's posting with the other. If I see Broz is commenting (and others) I'm likely to read it. He has a long history of credibility, especially as relates to being successful at LRH.
5) I've learned a lot from your posts, and video's as well. I like the way you measure the various parameters. Things I had not considered previously as a factor.
Myself I'm looking for that next scope to move out to more distance. I have not put a cap on how much it will cost, but that doesn't mean it won't be painful. Getting one that doesn't work from the start would take all the joy out of it. Even if it's warrantied.
I've even considered adding plane fare to the cost so I can get a first hand look, at scopes unavailable locally. This is a one time major purchase for some of us, and while the discussion gets down to the "taste great"-"less filling" beer commercial level at times, there is way more than a six pack involved.
6) SFP is what I am used to, and I'm guilty of being resistant to change.
I hope you stay, but I'm more hopeful this thread gets back on a positive track.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria ,Texas
Posts: 31
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

ok Im new to ffp and long range shooting and hunting I got a Vortex pst 4-16x50 in the ffp and the same scope in a sfp so Im comparing apples to apples why does the image (target) seem or is bigger in my sfp scope no matter the power setting if this is how all ffp scopes are then Im paying extra money for less magnification and only one benefit then to me it's not worth the extra $$ so is it just me or the scope is bad or is it that that's how a ffp scope is ?
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,755
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post


Quote:
Originally Posted by PEEWEE69 View Post
ok Im new to ffp and long range shooting and hunting I got a Vortex pst 4-16x50 in the ffp and the same scope in a sfp so Im comparing apples to apples why does the image (target) seem or is bigger in my sfp scope no matter the power setting if this is how all ffp scopes are then Im paying extra money for less magnification and only one benefit then to me it's not worth the extra $$ so is it just me or the scope is bad or is it that that's how a ffp scope is ?
I noticed that too. Is this comparison from an earlier post what you are referring to?

If the above comparison is indeed to scale with both scopes on 25X I think it relays some of my complaints with FFP and my long range and ELR shooting and hunting.

If one just studies the difference in the comparison it is not hard to see what I have been talking about.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 20
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

If one likes the features of a FFP scope, that is the one he/she should buy. If the preference is for the SFP, then that is the one for you. All of this bickering about which one is best is like a Chevy vs Ford argument. The differences have been clearly explained here. Make your choice and live happily ever after. James
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Victoria ,Texas
Posts: 31
Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

broz
that's exactly what I meen but Im not going only by the post pic but by looking through both my scopes both are vortex viper pst 4-16x50 only difference is one is ffp and the other is sfp so if this is how a ffp scope is then Im paying extra $$ for 16 power and only getting 10 not worth it to me
Im gonna call vortex and see what they say
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
I currently have hunting preference points in the following states

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC