Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

From the time I range to the time I pull the trigger on a long range animal, there is no change, it might as well be a target frame. If the animal does move it's re range and re dial and we're back to the same fixed range.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
From the time I range to the time I pull the trigger on a long range animal, there is no change, it might as well be a target frame. If the animal does move it's re range and re dial and we're back to the same fixed range.
Yes I realize that... but do you shoot every animal at 600yds exactly, or 1000yds, or 300yds? Benchrest is the same range, exact same target dimensions, every time.

Critters move around, so you'll be at a different distance on nearly every engagement.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Yes but with a ballistics program and a quality range finder 1000 yards is the same as 1177 yards, as LR hunters we've just gone mobile

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
The world record, that's pretty impressive and he preferred the BR Nightforce in SFP.

Do you know what he has for a scope on his 338 LAI for use at 2000 yards? I would like to know what a world record holder prefers when he shoots a different discipline, more in tune to the way I shoot and hunt.

Jeff
Broz,His old one had a NF,not sure what his new set up is on the 338 LAI.You have actually conversed with him on this site in another thread about long range scopes.Im sure it is a NF just not sure on model.He wants same thing more adjustment,he had a custom adjustable base,but was not accurate or repeatable.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Broz,His old one had a NF,not sure what his new set up is on the 338 LAI.You have actually conversed with him on this site in another thread about long range scopes.Im sure it is a NF just not sure on model.He wants same thing more adjustment,he had a custom adjustable base,but was not accurate or repeatable.
Oh OK, if you find out what he settled on for a scope on that AI hammer please let me know.

MMERSS, you bet!! Let me know when you get your rifle, I would think I will have mine in the not too distant future. Then maybe we can go rock hunting one day. I am always up for that.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

For me long range hunting is about adding long range shooting capabilities to my standard hunting skill set. Now, if an animal hangs up on a call, or I can't get closer to the herd, I have a tool for that. I don't really get "into" setting up for a planned shot at 1700 yds for the sake of reaching further, not saying someone else should share my ideas or their's are wrong. I think what I do and practice should be called long range hunting, even though it really isn't very similar to the long range hunting Broz et al is describing. Maybe we could clarify by calling your hunting extreme long range, Broz et al. I think part of the fervor of the discussion is fueled by this discrepancy in styles or ideals. I know my desire to chime in is kindled when I hear, "What benefit is there for long range hunting?" I don't believe you are intending any harm at all, btw. I know the benefits FFP are well worth it and very valuable to my hunting framework. Money saved is the only possible benefit to SFP for my long range hunting.

How do you SFP users feel about the hollow center reticles for precision aiming? I have two Weavers with them and I think have a lot of utility. When shooting for groups at 100 in the past, I have found myself visualizing the point of true aim behind the hairs. Using this design I never do that, or am always doing it depending on how you look at it.

If it makes a difference I never thought you two were going to go shooting together . I appreciate the tenacity and fight. I'm a man, like the kind that used to have duels over honor and princple. I actually think these things do some good. Keep your punches up, I want a good clean fight.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakelly View Post
Maybe we could clarify by calling your hunting extreme long range, Broz et al. I think part of the fervor of the discussion is fueled by this discrepancy in styles or ideals.

How do you SFP users feel about the hollow center reticles for precision aiming?

If it makes a difference I never thought you two were going to go shooting together
I agree and I try to include distances to what I am stating. I have even in this thread used the ELR term. To me it is past 1000 like our ELR forum here. I also try to include the hunting / shooting criteria when I can. I have yet to shoot game at a mile. But I have past 1000 on many occasions. However a rock, coyote, wolf or vermin I will take at any distance shot I feel would not be a total waste of ammo.

Since I have not used one of the hollow center reticles I can only offer a first impression. I doubt I would like it for my uses. Now I have used floating dot and liked it. My favorite was the MP-8 dot from IOR. I have a floating crosshair in my new ATACR. I like the looks of it, but wish the floating part was thinner, lets say .050 or .060 moa. To me that reticle would be the cats meow.

I would not say never to us shooting together. Unless Orkin has a different feeling. I think there is a pretty good chance we will cross paths sooner or later. I also feel it could be a good way for both of us to learn to appreciate the others ways, methods and abilities.

Jeff