Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I am no Bench Rest shooter so I will need help with this. But I do have a hunch. Since Bench Rest competitors are shooting for group size and center target scores what are they using and why?

Jeff
Afriend of mine holds current world records and it is NF BENCH model 12-42.He had a S&B and sent it back,to his eyes NF was better.I was spotting for him at 1000 w/big Ziess and I said it looks like you have a group and he was ,yes I see it threw his scope.He is younger and I notices has very good vision.He only keeps targets under 3'' @1000.He like the scope because he can see well threw it and has shot one for years .so very familar with adjustments,second nature for him.He also plays with a 338 LAI out to 2000 yrd.Ill try to get picture from him,cool looking rig.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Silver Member

The entire discussion has been based on long range hunting... Not benchrest, so I thought that is what we were talking about yet.

... and Braz, there is an important difference between KNOWN distance, and SET distance. Benchrest is the same distance every time you shoot, unless you change events. Otherwise, 100yd, 300yd, 600yd, 1000yd.

Distance is the same.
Target is the same.
Position is the same.
You get sighters before you fire for record.

There are a great many people running fixed 36x or 42x optics for benchrest with success. While there are people using FFP for benchrest... it brings absolutely nothing to the table over SFP. I know a couple guys running the march 5-40FFP in benchrest. They're quite pleased with it. Yet they say the same thing... there is no real point in having FFP. If mirage is too thick, you can dial back a SFP and dump some sighters into the berm. Problem solved. Most of the benchrest competitors I have talked with don't use the reticle for their holds, they use the target itself.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
Afriend of mine holds current world records and it is NF BENCH model 12-42.He had a S&B and sent it back,to his eyes NF was better.

He also plays with a 338 LAI out to 2000 yrd.Ill try to get picture from him,cool looking rig.
The world record, that's pretty impressive and he preferred the BR Nightforce in SFP.

Do you know what he has for a scope on his 338 LAI for use at 2000 yards? I would like to know what a world record holder prefers when he shoots a different discipline, more in tune to the way I shoot and hunt.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Tom knows his ****... no doubting that.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
As for the challenge between the AM and the LRKM. Well I prefer to just meet up for some friendly cold bore rock busting. Then you can tell the story if you want no matter how it turns out. I have been out shot before, but lets talk about that after it happens.

Jeff
Broz,

Two awesome guns built for a similar purpose running against each other for comparison, two shootersÖ should that day come to fruition I donít view the comparison as one shooter outshooting the other. Itís like answering the question ďis the glass half empty or half full?Ē

Iím confident both guns will perform to the high standards within the purpose for why they were designed. Iíll be favoring the AM because thatís my gun. When Iím shooting Iíll be relying on you to provide me the corrections....my shooting is just putting the exclamation mark on all the work of the spotterÖ..so if one shooter connects their shot closer than the other shooter, the spotter in my experience takes the majority of the credit but itís still a two person effort. Having fun is ultimate goal.

Iíll probably bring along my TRG-42 for holdover comparison. Itís topped with the NXS 42X. I can only dial MOA elevation corrections in the upper 30ís in contrast with the other NXS models requiring holdover for ranges past 1400.

If youíre still interested Iíll let you know when the AM is complete. Maybe others will want to join in and hopefully will have FFPs also for comparison.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
The entire discussion has been based on long range hunting... Not benchrest, so I thought that is what we were talking about yet.
Back up a little here, a good deal of the argument for FFP has been made coming from a tactical type comp format, we all pull other shooting experience and apply it to our LR hunting after all what percentage of our shots in a year are on game at long range.
My LR hunting far more resemble BR with the exception it's a cold bore BR match My average hunting does resemble more of a tactical type shooting, range it gun it kinda deal but I use a BDC turret which is stupid fast to kill game within it's window.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 03-09-2013, 02:40 PM
Silver Member

Right... like I said, I mistook the tone of the conversation for a second.

I disagree that hunting is like benchrest however. Sure, you are ranging and engaging from a fixed position far away. However, the position you are in, and that of the animal, are ever changing.

Not so with benchrest. Always the same target at the same distance. Much more controlled. I'd choose a SFP for benchrest for that reason.