Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
How can that be ? The sponsors of this site all use Nightforce FFP scopes do they not ? Does Nightforce even make a SFP scope ? FFP is not "new" since it has been the defacto standard for European hunters for ages.
No they do not and do a search and look at poll.Night force has very few ffp overings,one is the new Beast
Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

I think that while FFP is better for 95% of shooters, I also think that SFP makes more sense (maybe cents) to 95% of shooters.

For anyone shooting to even 1500 yards in hunting scenarios, FFP is going to be best (i feel). Haveing those reticule substensions always bang on without any thinking is a HUGE time saver. Thats why I see more and more predator hunters going FFP, time is always a factor. As Orkan said, its easy to get a thicker reticule to quarter a target out to farther than most of use can shoot. The simplicity of the reticule outways the reticule size. The exception is for guys like Broz, Shawn,Kirby, Joel Russo and the EXTREME range shooters that are looking for 2km + shots.

While I said FFP is better for most guys, they sure arent practical on the $$. Thats why I say SFP makes more sense to most guys. To step into a good FFP you are looking at alot more money than a decent Leupy, with the exception possibly being the PST's. A fair number of SFP scopes have a corresponading number to go with the magnifacation that works with there reticule, making it a wash.

I for one dont need FFP to be fast with my reticule, but if there is ever a day when I have the money for something like a Premier or S&B, it'll be FFP.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

I am no Bench Rest shooter so I will need help with this. But I do have a hunch. Since Bench Rest competitors are shooting for group size and center target scores what are they using and why?

Jeff
Old 03-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I am no Bench Rest shooter so I will need help with this. But I do have a hunch. Since Bench Rest competitors are shooting for group size and center target scores what are they using and why?

Jeff
Broz, I am not a benchrest shooter, and will not speak for all of them. That said the guy that built my last long range rifle is, the only scopes he uses are Nightforce NXS' in sfp. He has won more than his fair share of matches. There must be a reason he prefers them.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 AM
Silver Member

Set distance competition. Not much of a need for FFP there. My smallbore bench gun certainly does not wear a FFP. This surely isn't a revelation.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
Set distance competition. Not much of a need for FFP there. My smallbore bench gun certainly does not wear a FFP. This surely isn't a revelation.
Oh, it's not? I politely disagree.

The title of this thread is. "First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane" If we are comparing both and their uses, and if we determine that a FFP is best suited for tactical competitions, then why is it not important to discuss what is best for bench rest even if the target distance is known? Come to think of it, I know the distance of every thing I shoot before I pull the trigger.

Now, is there a BR shooter that is willing to explain why they prefer SFP? I am curious if it is due to some of the reasons I prefer SFP for my long range uses.

Jeff
Old 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orkan View Post
ok, can I ask why since you have been preaching ffp this whole thread. I am not wanting a ******* match just would like an honest answer as to why you are using sfp for this purpose. Again I am not a BR shooter, that is why I am curious.