Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

I have read every post,interesting. I will stick with both of my sfp nxs' The more important question on the table is, do we have to put in for a draw to attend this shooting match in Sept. or can we just show up? I will be in Wy. and would be willing to make the trip North.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
The more important question on the table is, do we have to put in for a draw to attend this shooting match in Sept. or can we just show up? I will be in Wy. and would be willing to make the trip North.
Shooting match? You mean shooting 'Duel'! Walk ten paces, turn around, point, shoot. The guy that can only count to two always wins...

It's actually been a pretty healthy and interesting dialog. Many good points covered and debated - pros and cons.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

Hell, Im willing to take the trip from Virginia!!!

Thanks for explaining this to me guys. I really appreciate all the info!
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Silver Member

I have been watching this post because I just ordered a Viper 6x24 ffp. It will arrive tomorrow. It will be my first FFP scope. I have studied this subject for a year now I may not need the FFP but I have had several times hunting that I wish I had FFP. Now I will find out if it is worth the extra money. I hunt in the South over Bean fields. After a year or two of hunting with it I will know what I like, FFP or SFP. Sometimes you just have to see for yourself.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnwhip View Post
Sometimes you just have to see for yourself.
Truer words never spoken!

Yet that will mainly only tell you about that singular optic. Can't judge all FFP from looking at a single unit anymore than you can judge anything by a single unit. If that one doesn't work out for you, give me a call and I'll gladly help you find one that does.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot a ffp. I picked a mark 4 TMR,small space at center of cross hair.Bought for the lighter weight on my packer.Not nearly the cost of the top end stuff.I love the scope.works great for my style.I hike dark timber all the time,year before last shot 6x6 with alder obscuring at 50 yrd.That is why I pack 338 for last 30 yrs.The cross hairs are thick to thin.Lets see my best year I harvested 26 animals.One was a B&C 51'' MT moose,passed 18 bulls, 330 6x6 at 680 yrds. And a 160 whitey at 34 paces.My last 15 elk,6x6.I really dont care what I have in my hand,LR, took the 30-30 out some elk hunting this season or bow.I just want to be out.Scope is like Ford,Dodge,Chevy.Pick what you like.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

After all this discussion I now realize so many benefits of both designs, that I know I will be first in line when someone comes out with a durable 20-25x DualFP scope with 80-100 minutes of internal adjustments (as long as it is at a reasonable price point).

The only DFP scope I could find was a US Optics that was in 1-4x configuration.

Hopefully Vortex, Leupold, Nightforce, etc... are listening, and can see there would be a market for something like this.