Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Silver Member

First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

I know the difference.. but I am having a hard time understanding what the advantage is to having a FIRST focal plane scope vs. a second focal plane.. any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 03-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Gold Member

Re: First Focal Plane Vs. Second Focal Plane

The 1st focal plane scopes allow the reticle subtensions to be accurate at all powers. For example: my Sightron 6-24 with a mil dot reticle is calibrated to accurately measure 1 mil at 24x. If the scope was a 1st focal plane the reticle changes size with power changes so that the mil dots are always 1 mil apart.

This basically allows you to use the reticle for holdovers, range estimations or shooting corrections at any power instead of a specified power like on a 2nd focal plane scope.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Give this a read:

Primal Rights • Primal Rights -- Rifle Sighting Systems - Part 3: SFP vs FFP
Old 03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Ranging and sizing a target would be easier with the FFP..but wouldnt the reticle be finer for long range shots with the SFP?
"...I shoot big cartridges, not because I am ego bound, not because they are needed to kill big game when well placed shots are made, but when an error is made, they will get you out of trouble more often then a lesser round."

--Kirby Allen
Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootkittens View Post
Ranging and sizing a target would be easier with the FFP..but wouldnt the reticle be finer for long range shots with the SFP?
Correct on both accounts.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Platinum Member

Depends somewhat on reticle design.My TMR is open in center
Old 03-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninglover1 View Post
Correct on both accounts.
Actually, that is false.

It's a blanket statement, that has nothing to do with FFP or SFP. It has to do with reticle/optic design.

There are thick FFP reticles, just as there are thick SFP reticles.

The problem lies with the vast majority of people having exceedingly little experience with FFP. It's unknown to them. Actually, it's shocking to me just how many people make statements about FFP optics and their capabilities without having any experience with them.

A nightforce velocity reticle in a 5.5-22 covers .07" at 100yds while on 22x, and .10" while on 15x. The lower the power, the more the reticle covers. A GenIIXR reticle in a Premier 5-25 covers .07" at 100yds while on all magnifications.

The statement about FFP reticles not being fine enough is a myth. There are LOTS of myths surrounding FFP optics, which are happily perpetuated by people that lack the FFP experience to know otherwise.