Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Long Range Hunting & Shooting

Long Range Hunting & Shooting Nightforce Optics

First Custom Order

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 10:23 AM

First Custom Order

Check is in the mail, after months of deliberating for my Weaver Rifle. This is my attempt at a lightweight packable long range rifle, 300 win mag, 24" brux fluted barrel, with a brake, lightweight Hitech stock, jewell trigger, fluted bolt, and a borden action, and last cerakote finish. I initially wanted a 300 RUM, but decided that I probably wouldn't see any benefits in a 24" barrel. And less recoil can't hurt. I still need to decide on colors for the stock and barrel. I'm leaning towards a light tan/cream stock and a gray barrel/action. Now the wait till fall. Optically I'm looking for a lightweight scope. Really liking the swarovksi 3,5-18 Z5. It's very light but not sure how great the turret system is? I also love Zeiss and may consider the HD5. Nightforce is too heavy.
Tony
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Re: First Custom Order

What's the weight estimated to be? I set up a light weight rifle last year, 270 WSM. It's not a fly-weight, but I've had several ultralights and wanted half minute accuracy as well. I've had too many scopes with inaccurate or non-repeatable turrets. Light weight was secondary to dead solid turrets. I mounted a NF 2.5-10 compact. It's rated at 19 oz, but I knew what to expect from the turrets. Scoped and ready to go it weighs a hair over 8 lbs.
If I had found it before buying the NF, I would have gone with a S&B Klassik, as done by Darrel Holland. Same weight, bigger objective, same bullet proof .25 MOA turrets, and his ART reticle.